A word of caution on re-organization

As I am “brand spanking new” to UE4 and game development in general, I thought it might be a good idea to talk about organization a little bit more in newbie terms before asking a student to “tidy” things up a bit.

My particular issue came in the Crystal Cavern lesson 15/30 when asked to tidy things up a bit. A long story short is that code and programs are dependent on structure to know where things are (duh!) and programs like UE4 seem to be forgiving to a degree, but blatant shuffling of files will only anger the digital gods. I gummed things up to the point that Unreal thinks that there are files there that aren’t and won’t allow me to delete unneeded files (as far as my limited knowledge goes). In the end, I am starting over. I’ll leave this old project file to maybe dive into another time to see if I can “skillfully” save it.

Discussion: Should we have a “short” discussion on the ramifications of file structure and how to properly tidy up?

Live and learn!

1 Like

I gummed things up to the point that Unreal thinks that there are files there that aren’t

The main issue you’re facing is that everytime you move a file, you’re creating a redirector to the new file location. And the kicker is that redirectors are hidden by default.

As the documentation states: To see redirectors in the editor enable the Show Redirectors filter in the content browser. Then, right click a redirector and select Fixup.

Choosing Fixup will remove the redirector and update all references to the redirector to the new file location.

Documentation: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Basics/Redirectors/index.html

Ah, thank you very much for the reply. That would make a whole lot more sense than what I was attributing it to! I really should pay more attention to the documentation. Thanks again!

1 Like

Mhhh, I never really had problems on changing directory or path in a UE4 BP Project. UE4 seems to keep all filepath updated after moving stuff.

So, to get to the question, on my opinion, this task to the audiance is not a big deal.

EDIT: Ok, there really seems to be an issue with moving the Gamemode… Going to Project Settings an d set the default GM back to “GamemodeBase”, Playtest is, then recompile custom Gamemode and set it back up in the project-settings workend for me.

Privacy & Terms