A way store UVs for the curve to mesh node in geometry nodes

I just thought I’d show a way to do this, since the instructor mentioned that it could be done.

The only draw back to doing it this exact way is, it doesn’t work on cyclic curves.

I found a way to make UVs for cyclic curves, but I haven’t tested it enough to know for sure if it works in all cases.

I had to use a fair bit of index manipulation in the face and face-corners domains to figure out how to get it to work.

I thought of a few problems with the old node group, chief among them being not always making UVs for the caps of the mesh. Below is the new node group.

New Node Group Details

v2 Added 3D coordinates and fixed a missing input

Old Node Group Details

Over view:

Main Frame:

For main Curve:

For Profile:

3 Likes

Nice solution, is that based on Erindale’s UV system by any chance?, I remeber his being much simplier, but I definately appreciate the detail and complexity of this one. When I get the chance, I’ll have to rebuild this myself and perhaps (with your permission) a version of it may appear in the Advanced Geo Nodes course that I’ll be working on later in the year.

1 Like

Thanks.

No, it’s loosely based on a tutorial I saw a few months back by a smaller youtuber, called LooseEdges. The only thing I could remember was that it used face corners.

I don’t have any problem with a version of it going into the course. If you’d like, I could send you the file, so you don’t have to piece together the images I posted.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I’ll check out that channel when I have some free time.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms