A shame, but I have to move on right?

While I was writing the story for the Great Hunt text adventure game I was making for the 2d course, I managed to lose my most recent state map which had me lose a lot of progress, and I also ended up losing many other files including my unity projects. I feel sad, because I liked what I had going on, but I feel like I should move on and just skip this section of the course. Would it make sense to do that?

2 Likes

It depends on what you want to achieve with the course, but what’s important is to learn from the mistakes, so I’ll have to ask, Why did you lose all your data? What can you do to prevent that from happening again?

2 Likes

Loose the work done is something it happens sometimes. It is very discouraging, I know. So, now that you are beginning in this world, I would recommend looking for some version control software (there are free ones). It will allow you to save your progress and recover your work if you ever loose it again. And believe me, working for months on a project without some sort of protection, it can end very badly.

3 Likes

That’s a very good point. I’ll do the github course before I start working on big projects.

I swapped computers. When I was moving files I was also cleaning up and only taking what I needed or wanted. During that, I had some confusion and deleted my unity projects folder. Some of the file names were too long to fit in the recycle bin, so they were permanently deleted. That made everything essentially useless.

Privacy & Terms