A question in solving the challenge

In the second method of solving the challenge, why was the extrude tool used first?

Place show a screen shot, because people like me, aren’t familiar with the exact course challenges.

use main menu > window > save screenshot

It is difficult to describe the question through a screenshot, but the question is on the part of the video from 7:45 to 9:00
https://www.gamedev.tv/courses/635406/lectures/12024227

It’s something Michael uses to explain something of Blender functionality.
There are many, many ways to do things with Blender to achieve the same thing.

The extrusion, with the movement, is done, to get a solid object (no holes).
But later he flattens the stairs, but then he got doubles faces (and vertices).
Which he removes using “Merge by distance” (or in the old Blender “removes doubles.”

1 Like

Mikey actually explains it. It has created duplicate geometry. For a reason!
The first way shown made a ramp that was only connected to the top and bottom edge. He did not really show that very clearly. The extrude to make new geometry, makes a duplicate of the steps and therefore all the connections to each step. I think it is a clever but odd way to do it, especially for a beginner to understand. But that may just be me!
It is far more instinctual to select the apex edges of the steps and dissolve them, then select pairs of verts and press J to join making the triangle of the cut out.

Needs an image hard to describe.

The apexes are dissolved away.
(As they were dissolved not deleted the face is still there but very distorted and the display does not know how to deal with it really. The joining of the marked verts fixes that right angle change in direction the face has to be dealing with.)
The red circles are a pair of verts that were connected by J join.
Blue lines above show previous joins made, Dotted blue what it is like before joining the pairs.

Lots of ways to do things in Blender. This is undeniably slower than Mikey’s way, but easier to understand imo.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms