A more true to life Mayan Ziggurat

Decided to leave the material alone because its supposed to be all made of stone and we have not yet been taught how to texture.

I also completely changed the proportions of the structure to be more accurate to the real life structures. examples being the 7 steps having a slant and the staircase starting much farther out than the base of the first step.

6 Likes

Very nicely done! Some good textures on that an it would be very real.

Try shade smooth to get rid of the facet on the soft bevelled corners.

Very nicely done indeed. I never tried moving the steps that far out from the base. Now I know why I never liked the way they looked.

I’m definitely going to have to try it the way you’ve done it, because I suspect I’m going to like it better. :wink:

While the shade smooth option which I just learned from the next part does get rid of the obvious bevel on the corners, it also makes the lighting look just awful. I do not yet know much about messing with the lighting but I’ll makes sure to come back and update this pyramid as I learn how to texture and provide better lighting.

1 Like

While I was watching the lectures I felt there was something very wrong with how it looked. Once I looked at some reference photos, I realized one of the easiest ways to make it look much better was to bring out the staircases. I also found that you can make staircases using bevel and it leaves far less mesh data behind and is much faster. If anyone is interested I can make a quick video showing how I did the staircase or any other part of the pyramid.

Now engage Auto Smooth! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Object Data Properties; Normals dropdown; tick box.
Probably will not need to play with the angle slider.

Thanks

2 Likes

amazing.

Wow! You’ve inspired me to put more detail into my pyramid.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms