A medieval corridor

So, once again I felt like I didn’t need too much practice with the subjects gone over, so I took some of the aspects of this lesson (emission materials), and adapted them to continue to experiment with material properties. In this case, I found the glass BSDF, and managed to mix it with a “scratched metal” texture, which I recoloured, and then actually inserted a flame into the middle of the lanterns, which gives the lanterns that very specific glow pattern that almost looks like a vignette.

Also, now that I’m getting a lot more comfortable with blender, I’m finally feeling able to look up external tutorials on some aspects, and figured out how to make a fog/mist to add some additional atmosphere. These tutorials always left me feeling very overwhelmed before when I’ve tried to look into them, but I find Grant’s gamedev tutorials to be very confidence boosting in terms of helping me feel able to at least START understanding a lot more about blender in general, and getting comfortable with the software.

Addition: Does anyone know much about rendering with the GPU? I rendered the 2nd image on my computer using CPU rendering, with a 2700x and 32GB of RAM (my CPU is just and AMD 570 - it’s not capable of GPU rendering in Blender. Out of curiosity, I packed the textures into the blend file and had my husband try on his computer - I wanted to see how much faster it would render. He has I think at least a 3070, a better processor, the same amount of ram but likely faster - essentially, his PC should kick mine’s butt for rendering. We kept all the settings the same except change to GPU rendering and it seemed to render at the same speed. Are there some settings we need to change/check other than switching the drop down to GPU, in order to render faster on his computer? I was hoping to use his computer if I ever get to creating larger projects/videos, but if we can’t get it to render faster, there isn’t much point.

5 Likes

Very spooky corridors, amazing job with lighting and textures as well!

1 Like

Blender uses CPU and GPU if you set Blender to GPU rendering.
This has to do with what kind of calculations must be performed when your scene is rendered.

CPU is used for specific calculations, where much math is involved (which is of course the whole 3D Blender project). For example geo-nodes, and material calculations.
GPU is bad at high-level math, but great in massive simple math operations. Manipulating massive blocks of data (render).

In principle, using a GPU is better. Because it will unload the CPU, and 3D calculations are massive data manipulation. Where a GPU is more capable of.
But! It depends on your project how much CPU is needed. For example, if you have very big material node configurations, then more CPU power is needed. Because a lot of math is involved.
Do you sculpt a lot (a huge amount of vertices) then a fast CPU with a lot of memory is needed. If you do animations, then a more powerful GPU is helpful.

The corridor has beautiful lanterns.
I would randomize the amount of light a bit, and location (slightly) and increase the overall lighting a bit. It’s too dark on my monitor.

Have fun!

Yeah, I did upgrade my RAM to help with the sculpting, and have noticed a huge improvement. I’m just confused as to why the render wasn’t any faster when rendered with a 3070 on the other computer (all other specs equal or better than mine) than with my AMD R7 2700 on my computer, and whether there’s some other settings we need to tweak for GPU rendering within blender itself. The textures are large, but I’m still learning about nodes. Unless it was maybe the fog that pushed it over the limit. I would have thought the raytracing wouldn’t be the issue as his card is raytracing compatible. Also, even if it used a combo, his CPU should kick mine’s butt as well, as it’s SEVERAL generations newer (still AMD).

And I love your suggestions about the scene! Definitely going to make some changes! I’m VERY happy with how the lamps turned out.

1 Like

Nice lanterns, but rather too dark overall to make out the corridor.

Does not look a heavy scene, fog will add to it but otherwise it is probably a light load.

I have no idea of AMD graphics card, processor, numbers, so it is hard to know why it was similar to the 3070. 3070 is a low end card of it’s generation though. Still it ought to be faster I suspect. No idea if packing the textures slows it all down, never done it. Of course all the things FedPete mentions are right, it may be some part taking the most time needs to be non multi cored, sequential, so better on a CPU.

Privacy & Terms