A few questions - solved

Hi, Im a bit confused atm, i finished the section but i didnt see much about uv unwrapping, is the lesson 180 the last one of the section?

however, i have this problem with my project i would like to know which is the pipeline to solve it if you can help me…

i have 2 different meshes for each wall, a top and a bottom, my idea is thinking in a 3er view in perspective, so i can disappear some of those top wall when in relation with the cam. But the thing is in terms of optimization i cannot creat a material for each wall, and even if i do it, make them fit is just not working, anyway i tryed with proyections, but i have my several doubt that the proyections could be supported by unity, but again, anyway i couldnt make it fit, So the next i thougt was “okey i need to make an unwrap” but i dont have any idea how to make them fit couse all the unwrap i can make are really different, so now im thinking that not the right way…

This is my idea

And that it what happend with the texture

1 Like

Not a bad idea if I’m reading that right. In terms of the materials, based on the images you’ve uploaded you’re the simplest solution is going to be to set them up so that the edges you don’t have any partial blocks. This will minimize any distortion where your pieces join but up against each other.

Of course, if you’re looking at importing these into a game engine you need to focus on your UV Unwrapping. Textures from blender do not import into game engines real well since they use different ways of interpreting the texture maps. Finding the right way to unwrap your pieces so you can hide the seams is the most important part of the process. UV Unwrapping will affect not only the look of your texture but also how your texture maps get baked and re-applied both in Blender and in whichever game engine you use.

I always tell people, If you are planning on importing your work into a game engine, don’t obsess over the textures in blender because they will not transfer well. Instead, think of them as “Concept Art”. They are there to give you a general idea of what the finished product should look like, you will need to recreate them in your game engine.

1 Like

I am guessing from those top stretched textures you used project from view UV. Which is great and Rob Tutel’s environment course uses it all the time. But the insides of your door sides, and tops, need their own selected faces done from their own side on view too. It also explains the stretch to a lesser degree on the upright curved bits of the wall. Those UV faces also can be altered in one direction to undo the distortion, or done specifically from a 45degree viewpoint.

I can’t advise over game exporting but had the impression baking textures once sorted out in Blender, makes them suitable, object specific.

Though with easy big blocks with no brickwork like overlapping (unrealistic) you can just fit three blocks per wall section and the section joins match the block joins.

1 Like

Does uv unwrapping and tile texured a good mix?, I mean i can imagine there is gonna be scale problem everywhere, and if i need to config eacj scales meand different material, and that a big problem. Seems that make it in different objects start to be a problem if i want to export, maybe the next step is join them all into a single mesh, merge vertex delete extra faces and make the unwrapping… Idk im thinking new ideas haja

Yes is exactly what you said, i didnt make the other uv projections couse i dont think they gonna work in a game engine, i mean everything work fine if you want to make a modular sketch objects but when texture is need it work flow seem to be different and modular working is not working, or i missing something…

okey i gonna correct myself, project view uv should work in a game engine couse at the end they make an unwrapping, so they should work correctly.

After working a while i make a bit of hand work and move the uv to make them fit. of course with more work probably i can get a better result but for this propouse i think this should be ok.

I let some update of the ending result

just playing with perspectiv and orthographic i can decide witch one to use

scaling is not an issue with the textures and you can use the same image for multiple objects. this is where Uniformity in size come into play when modeling game assets. if all of your pieces have at least one dimension the same size it becomes quick and easy to get a uniform look across many pieces.

In my experience, it’s all about how you map the texture to the UVMap.

Bad idea here my friend. making them all one object may make the import easier (depends on the game engine as you can just drag the entire blender file into Unity) but it will make getting good textures in the game nearly impossible.

And finally, when working with modular assets, you only have to unwrap the module once. It may seem like a lot of work at first, but the improved workflow once you’re past that stage is well worth the effort.

thanks a lot man! i could resolve the problem and saw my error!!

So at the end i decided for make a manually unwrapping with seams, and yes how you told me, was a quiet difficult at the beginning, but after a couple of minutes start to be repetitive and not so hard, so there is my result…

and this is my final result, at least atm, i want to make some props to complete the scene… still not decided which camera use

Any feedback is welcome!

Very nice look sir. Can’t say why, but, I find I rather like the second camera angle better. Glad I could help, please remember to mark the thread as solved so others know.

Happy Blending!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms