"A cleverer way of doing things"

@ben mentions with regards to repeating yourself with the code to handle level 1 and level 2 that there might be “a cleverer way of doing things”. For fun I handled level 3 too but the repetitiveness didn’t sit well with me, so I decided to find a better way. Of course if none of this means anything to you, don’t worry I’m sure this will all be dealt with in a later lecture.

First of all, I earlier pre-empted that we’d be dealing potentially with a large number of conditions here so rather than stacking loads of if/else if statements, there is an alternative which is switch/case. I won’t go into exactly how it works other than I’ll share my alternative to the whole if (level == "menu") block etc. using switch/case, this is before I started adding the level conditions:

switch (input)
		{
			case "menu":
			case "m":
				ShowMainMenu();
				break;

case "007":
				Terminal.WriteLine("Please select a level, Mr. Bond:");
				break;

default:
				Terminal.WriteLine("Please choose a valid level:");
				break;
		}

As well as being easier to read, this code theoretically should be more performant (more significant when you’re dealing with many more cases to be fair).

This also handles where different cases can run the same code, e.g. we can show the menu here whether the user types menu or m.

Of course a similar thing can be done with if statements as well but I’m sure that’s for a future lecture too, but that’d presumably be something like (assuming C# is the same as other languages like JavaScript and PHP):

if (input == "menu" || input == "m")

When it comes to adding the level number cases, the cleverest way I think to handle that is probably a bit advanced for this stage but I’ll share it anyway:

switch (input)
		{
			case "1":
			case "2":
			case "3":
				level = int.Parse(input);
				StartGame();
				break;

case "menu":
			case "m":
				ShowMainMenu();
				break;

case "007":
				Terminal.WriteLine("Please select a level, Mr. Bond:");
				break;

default:
				Terminal.WriteLine("Please choose a valid level:");
				break;
		}

Here we execute the same code whether the user inputs “1”, “2” or “3” but we need to store that input in a member variable and ideally as an integer, but the value we have is a string.

As a side note, the Microsoft docs on C# really are quite good from what I’ve seen so far, and that is what brought me to the above solution.

The Parse function here converts a literal string representation of a number into an integer.

This is all totally optional and unnecessary at this stage and I’m sure it will get covered later but if it got you thinking already then hopefully you’ll find it interesting :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just as a fair warning, I’m mostly just rambling with my posts and I don’t recommend taking much notice of me unless you like getting your hands more dirty than the course intends you to at this point - I’m sure I’ll end up coding myself into a corner eventually :wink:

A few lectures on and it’s time to create an array of passwords and really the approach above doesn’t make things very easy.

Because the level initialisation code is aiming to be generic, rather than having a separate array for each level (which is possible, but we’d need to use reflection but let’s not go there), we need an associative array of arrays of passwords (Ben mentions this in lecture 25 but quite rightly doesn’t go there yet!).

To do this, we need to use a dictionary. Which looks like this:

Dictionary<int, string[]> passwords = new Dictionary<int, string[]>()
{
	{ 1, new string[]{ "forty", "jerky", "peace", "stone", "table" } },
	{ 2, new string[]{ "husband", "monster", "nothing", "sixteen", "yielder" } },
	{ 3, new string[]{ "appreciate", "characters", "depression", "retirement", "watermelon" } }
};

(I picked these passwords randomly. Easy is 5 random 5 letter passwords. Medium is 5 random 7 letter passwords. Hard is 5 random 10 letter passwords).

So we essentially have one array containing three arrays of passwords and each inner array is referenced by an integer which relates to the level. A much more complicated approach but one I’m sure will be covered later.

This allows us to pass our level integer into that dictionary to access the correct passwords array for the chosen level:,

As a quick example:

case "1":
			case "2":
			case "3":
				password = passwords[level][0]; // TODO: Make random
				StartGame();
				break;

Clear as mud? Good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ben goes through switch statements in lecture 26 :slight_smile:

2 Likes