87. Introduction To The Mapping Node - Chess Board

Might as well post my results after reaching the end of a new lesson.
Segment 87. Introduction To The Mapping Node was incredibly informative.

It appears that working with Nodes can be a career unto itself? A very important phase in the development of a useful render. Seems you could go for days trying to decide what looks best but you have to park it somewhere, alas so I did. lol

I chose the figured mahogany, has a nice look to the board. Rotating and scaling in the Mapping Node was a good introduction to an apparently deep subject.

My XYZ rotations in the Mapping Node were in the negative numbers slightly, is this a bad idea or in the end is it just how il looks?

%20Introduction%20To%20The%20Mapping%20Node%20-%20Chess%20Board%20-%20WITH%20PIECES-2

2 Likes

Looking good. Just be careful of stretching image textures to where the pixels become obvious or it detracts from your intended aesthetic.

It is not a bad idea. “What works”, works… but in the end, understanding what you are doing beats happy accidents any day.

Don’t worry. You will gain a lot more practice with the mapping node as you progress. The mapping node is your friend. :sunglasses:

The Nodes will make more sense and will get easier and more intuitive the more you use them… But, yes, it appears to be a hard thing to master as the possibilities seem endless.

1 Like

Hi Jaco, thank you. I understand completely what you are advising. I kept the negative values very low to be safe but it looked good as I was able to remove a few blemishes of the wood carefully out of view while keeping the integrity of texture.

Being the first experience learning about the nodes (and 3D in general) I am obsessed in becoming great with this medium. To me this is more in line with computer science rather than art but they do go hand in hand, in a way Blender is like going under the hood and seeing what drives an application as opposed as to just using predetermined menus.

ahh what do I know? I’m just having fun learning lol
:slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms