6.163: Doorway Detail

Doorway detail done:

The only issue I see with this model is what is not seen: the other side. All my detail will be copied over. I can see the mirror being useful for the minor blemishes, but I would apply the y axis mirror for the larger ones.

I saved a copy of the door without any detail. I also saved a copy of the door with both mirrors on. Now I can go back however many steps I want and change the door at any stage of the process. Useful, I think, for smaller projects, but I could see it becoming over cumbersome for larger projects- at least if you save at every step of the way.

5 Likes

You can copy two-axis! The X and Y ax.
Then apply the mirror, make left and right a bit different.
And also front and back.
Keep low poly, and simple cracks.
The goal is a modular design.

the next technique is the trick where you replace the low poly mesh data with a version of somewhat more mesh details. This is game-dev-related. In the old course (Michael) for modular design, it was explained.

basically, if you have an object looking like a cube. 8 vertices. You can swap the 8 vertices with a group of vertices, being a sphere. You don’t swap the object, but the mesh data. Going from Level of Detail (LOD) A to B, C, D …

2 Likes

That would be interesting. I will have to look to see if they provide a link to the old course sometime.

Privacy & Terms