5.144/45: Touching lightly on Configurations

I have two graphics cards:

1. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
  2. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti

and my CPU is:

• Intel Core i7-4790K CUP @ 4 GHz.

Currently I am running all of them on CUDA setting in the preferences. Since the updates to Blender, they have better integrated the CPU and GPU, streaming them together. I found that I could use both with better results than with sticking to the two GPU’s.

Kudo’s to one of the classes the instructor talked about: he said he had two GPU’s. When I bought my second, I found a way to get both working, slightly redneck style, but to great results (and nothing broken)

I Set my Cycles render to 8, light paths to 4, and resolution to 25 percent. Performance wise I set my Tiles X and Y to 100px from my original 150 px. This seemed to help a little. This gave me between 0.97 -1.10 seconds per frame.

This was important because I have 2880 frames to render. Almost 10 times more than what the class called for. This took about 50 minutes.

I will be uploading my “Rough Draft” soon.

2 Likes

Sounds good and you know how to tinker with the computer.

50 mins is no time at all. At those rates, you should make it a feature film length! :rofl:

1 Like

Most movies are about 1 hour and 30 minutes minimum. My little project is 1 minute and 36 seconds, with a rate of 30 frames per second for a 2880 frames project. It took about 50 minutes to render all 2880 frames.

One minute’s worth of frames at 30 frames is 1800 frames total. If I times that by 90, I will need 162000 frames worth of content for that hour and a half.

If the render rate were 1.5 seconds per frame at a 25 resolution just like my project here, it would take at least 67.5 hours to render , almost 3 days. That is if I decided to do it all at once. I would probably do it in the winter, to reduce the chances of my computer exploding. I should probably wait for a cold snap, about -40 or -55 Celsius should do. If the vehicle cannot run, then I my computer can :slight_smile: .

And the actual production of scenes, sounds, models? Oh boy… I don’t even know how to implement sounds of any sort yet!

Hmm… :thinking:

Just not today :wink:

1 Like

So easy then! If I tell you my hairy bunny scene from the original 2.7 lecture final render took 22 hours. for one render you might see why those times are trivial! Ok it was full 1080 size, with lots of hairs and transparent cards with grass on them, but now I render images at 4k 100% as my standard. I do not try animation!

2 Likes

I suppose then that, unlike @FedPete, your specialty is not animation :slight_smile: .

Who would have guessed? :thinking:

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms