5.105: He Booked It

Notes from Mr. McTaggard:

To “Book It”, at least where I come from, means to “get out of there as soon as possible”. It is also the action of saveing a webpage on the internet (but, of course, is short for “Book Marking”), or writing/typing down/in some important date for an appointment. Yet I will opt out for a 4th definition, improper English mind you, but suitable to my joke purposes.

I am using “Book” as a verb, meaning: the act of placing, setting, or putting books onto some surface. Present tense simple and perfect is “He books”, progressive is “He is booking”, but I will go for the perfect past tense “He booked it”, which could be a simple past tense since the word was not accompanied by “had”. But with the degradation of English, most have removed that useful indictor calling it “Bad Grammar”.

However, we can be sure that my use is in the perfect past simply by applying empirical methods to it: I have gathered up evidence by way of a picture that shows that whoever this “he” is has indeed already placed the books on it. What is it? A desktop:

… I couldn’t resist, thought it would be fun to connect the scene to a previous project for story’s sake.

3 Likes

Booked is normally used as ‘He booked a holiday, an appointment,’ etc. So it looks odd in your use, lol.
But we can work with it ok!

Your lamp grease pencil object could be a microscope!

1 Like

Hey, Mr. McTaggard is a bit eccentric what can I say. Surely I would never contrive such a strange meaning as just proposed… :smirk:

However, in my “neck of the woods” to “book it” can mean to “run away”. Such as " Oh no, the cops (police men) are here, lets book it!". Which would look strange if you did not know this. You might think, the cops (or cups?) are here, so we must do the weary job of making an appointment?

Would it help if I said “eh” alot, and say aboot instead of about? While I do not have a habit for these things, apparently many of my countrymen do (with our national food apparently being “poutine”, not to be mistaken with the Russian leader “Putin”)

It does look a bit like a microscope. That could be an interesting concept for a future project. Good idea :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms