4.90: High, Low do Two Queens Go

This was an interesting course. The theory at the start was interesting food for thought. When it came to the challenge, it was actually challenging, particularly when experiencing morning brain fog .

I went right to the instruction. His way was much better than what I was about to do. I like the method, and amazing when caught up in a morning stupor.

I have provided a high and low poly looking set of Queens. I am excited that soon I will be adding them to my chess piece collection.

Evee

Cycles

Cycles seems to bypass some of the shade smooth options.

2 Likes

I can’t wait to see your chess piece collection.

1 Like

High poly ‘looking’? just smooth shaded?
Tyr going to Object data properties, Normals, tick Auto Smoothing box. Play with slider if need be.

2 Likes

I played with the Auto Smoothing as you suggested. It worked well with the Evee setting, but the Cycles was still too stubborn :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Cycles can have problems (how strange it may sound) with very low poly mesh objects. I forgot the name for this problem.
You can add a subsurface modifier to the object. It will automatically create extra vertices/edges for you.

Below, buggy Cycles.

Naamloos (3)

2 Likes

Before you mentioned this I did a little research. They basically said the same thing that you did: Cycles is great… unless your mesh is a little too low in poly’s. Use Subsurface modifier if you find you are having issues.

Blender.StackExchange

I believe what you’re looking at is called the “Terminator Problem” which is a ray tracing issue. I think most rendering engines actually suffer from this problem.

I think the solution is to add more geometry or play around with your lighting setup.

You can read more about it here. https://developer.blender.org/T37814

So “Terminator Problem” sounds like the name you were talking about, and it is a ray tracings issue that, at least according to the post just quoted, is common to many rendering engines.

2 Likes

Yes, this was the term. Thanks.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms