4.129 Unreal: Asset Freezing- Resolved -

Hello,

1. Problem:
  • I found that when I downloaded my assets Unreal stopped responding and would freeze for a long time. Then, perhaps if I wait long enough, the object would load up.
  • At first I thought it was because the polycounts were too much for my computer. But a mushroom?
  1. Solution:
  • Someone suggested to delete the binaries and rebuild everything.
    It worked.

While it may not be an answer to universe, like 42, hopefully my few hours trying to resolve this will save someone a few of theirs.

Cheers! :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. These little tips help people get moving again.

1 Like

Thanks,

It mostly works, except if you want a high-end mega-scan. Then good luck if you have a low to mid end computer.

Unless someone knows how to shrink the poly size before bringing it into the Unreal Engine?

I’m not sure there’s an easy way unless you could bring the asset into the likes of blender or 3DS Max and reduce the poly count.

1 Like

Sounds about right.

I did a little digging and found that UE does come with a poly reduction system. They used to use one from Simplygon, and now it is incorporated with their Skeletal mesh reduction system.

But in the end it boiled down to, doing it yourself if you can is best.

1 Like

Thanks. That could actually be handy for simpler models. I know the ones from Quixel are amazing but also complex. It would be good if they had simplified versions too with lower quality textures but I guess that’s not what they’re really aiming for.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms