3D game kit cutscene

Hello everyone,

I’m new to Unity and I’ve purchased the “Unity 3D Game Kit Introduction - Make Games Without Coding” course. I’m not a developer and I don’t really understand coding. I do got a few question:

• How do I set up and trigger a cut scene where a camera shows that a door is being opened by standing on a pressurepad?

• How do I make 2 dialogue boxes after one another and make my player freeze while having a dialogue box. For example, on my first spawn in the game I set up a dialogue box saying “Where am I?” then I want to click to a second dialogue box saying “This must be a dream”. I don’t want both sentences in one box. The player also must freeze while these boxes are active. When the second box dissapears by clicking, I want the player to be able to move again.

Does someone know if this is possible without coding within the 3D game kit?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Gearreld, sorry about the delay in response for this:
I’ve actually been working on figuring out the camera cut scene question… I can tell you it will involve creating a custom Timeline and then implementing a Timeline Trigger Zone… I’m just not prepared to post a walk through on how to do this quite yet.

The second question has a lot of moving parts, some of which contradict with the GameKit architecture…
Disabling the player is actually rather easy… Add to your Trigger Enter a reference to Ellen and select PlayerInput.ReleaseControl to freeze the character and GainControl to get that control back.
The issue is that the Infozone turns on and off based on exiting and entering the collider. With Ellen disabled, that simply can’t happen.
It would be possible to write a simple script to handle this, but i wasn’t able to find anything built in. I’ll get back to this in a few days.

Actually, I just thought of a sort of cheating timer using the Simple Translator component (the same one that goes on the Moving Platform).

Add the Simple Translator to the 1st Info Zone, and deactivate the 2nd Info zone.
Set a duration around 5 seconds or so, and play with the accelaration curve until it becomes a sort of step… so it stays at 0 for most of the curve, and then abrupbly switches to one. (Try clicking one of the curve types, then adding a key toward the end and moving the handles to the extremes).
Then set the Y component of the End to -20… after 4 seconds, the trigger will basically move out of the way of the player…
This would let you set the OnTriggerExit at which point you’ll set the first infozone to be active and deactivate this one…
Do the same thing with the Translator to create a fake timer, and on the OnTriggerExit for this one, return control to Ellen’s PlayerController (PlayerInput.GainControl) and deactivate that infozone.
It wouldn’t be clicking on the infozone to clear it, but that was never really an option to begin with.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms