3 Versions of Chess Bases

From high poly to low poly. I kind of like the in between version. Interesting!

I think low poly looks cool in many scenarios. But for a chess set, I definitely prefer high poly.

5 Likes

Keep up the great work

1 Like

With Blender development, we strive to use as low poly as possible. Because working with fewer vertices, edges, and or faces, makes modeling much easier. Look how many edge loops you must maintain in your high poly model.

Let Blender work for you!

If you add on a low poly model, a Blender modifier called “subdivision”, it will add magically more vertices, edges, and faces to the model. While keeping the low poly! Producing a smoother appearance as you desire.

Requiring sharper/smoother edges can be done by changing the properties of the edge. Or adding more edge loops. These are part of the next lessons. Using low poly models, to learn how to work with vertices, edges while mirroring, using boolean modifiers, and adding more details.
High poly can be difficult if you are new to Blender.

And don’t compare what others do. Some of us have more experience or just seek help on the web(other tutorials). It’s a learning journey, not about creating the most creative chess set.

There is so much to learn with Blender. Have fun!

2 Likes

Yes, I just watched the next lesson and discovered how to achieve the same shape with low poly. Brilliant! I guess it is going to be much easier to work with now.

I try not to compare what others do (although it’s difficult not to compare yourself to others sometimes). Somewhere in the lesson we were asked what we thought about low poly and high poly, and which we prefer, and we were encouraged to share our thoughts here. So I just wanted to share my opinion.

I know that people spend several years learning Blender and that I’m still a noob. But I’m still going to try to create what I think is a beautiful looking chess set with the abilities that I have right now.

Thanks for your comment. Always appreciated. And I’m having a lot of fun! :smiley:

2 Likes

Cheers!

You can and some do, make two sets one high one low poly.

Looking good progress.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea! Now I know how to make low poly into high poly. So all I have to do is save a copy of my low poly, too. :smiley:

2 Likes

There is also the MultiRes modifier, where you can edit low and High (sculpting) meshes.
But believe me, just do the challenges, learn Blender.
All other stuff comes later.
Because once you know more about Blender, you think I’m going to do the chessboard again, but totally in a new way because you then know how to achieve certain models design. In low or high poly. Box modeling, hard surface modeling, sculpting, photogrammetry, …

2 Likes

I understand what you’re saying. I will try to not waste my time too much by doing things my own way. Thank you. I’m sure there are better ways of doing things. Honestly, I guess I’m a bit eager to show a high poly chess set to my friends who know nothing about 3D modeling. It will look a bit more impressive to them, and give me some encouragement. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms