2023 Collab: Week 20 “Library” - VOTE CLOSED

Auto smooth made no difference, Set shade smooth, not in there that I can see.
Image may not be big enough to see the details, I expanded a sample of each node possibly relevant that were compressed.

1 Like

Ugh… I’ll just make the account and try to solve this. Why do I hate myself…

Edit:
Ok, this is just… this is not an easy fix. I’d be quicker making a node tree from scratch, but basically, they just merge too much stuff mindlessly and this shading is the result. I’d say their node tree is also way more complicated than it needs to be.

1 Like

LOL. Good to know someone with some idea of these geo node agrees. I was not impressed, it just did for a one evening quick function. As you will see it really does not work well when you just want to use it, sizing and maintaining spacing etc.
A case of it is practically easier to just do a selection of full shelves by hand and vary their distribution. Auto stuff is not always that good once you are fussy.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m still not super familiar with geonodes but I do understand enough about them and geometry to have an idea of what’s happening.
In this node setup, they’re generating geometry from curves to which auto-smooth does not apply to, so it’s either all smooth or flat-shaded based on the smooth node. This means you have to be clever in how you make and merge your geometry but I can’t say that they are, unfortunately. They also use curve “cylinders” as a shortcut for making the edges, without even connecting it to the rest of the geometry but that just results in more glitchy shading

2 Likes

i know its post challenge but thought id share the changes i made today after work

6 Likes

The wood grain texture on the arches seems a bit too large in this version. Also, I can see you fixed the “lip” at the top of the front arch but it seems to still be broken on the ones behind. Good job fixing the book texture.

3 Likes

Better. And lighting, and floors. Books now look very real. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

@Kzanna , congratulations on winning the collab “Library”. It has a nice vibe, based on good compositing, book textures, and lighting.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms