2022 Collab: Week 9 “Antique" - CLOSED

:rofl: That is hilarious indeed, if a little frustrating…

2 Likes

Antiquity ----------> Antique >Vintage >Retro.
Pre Middle ages>100+ ------>50+ ---- > recent.

Ok, I expect we do not actually care about the supposed definition for collab purposes. :grin:

3 Likes

That kinda solves my problem, now I can make a disco dancing mom instead of a disco dancing mummy.

3 Likes

Made a start with some quick materials added.

9 Likes

The teaser for this week. A broom… mmmmh… maybe this time there’ll be someone cleaning an antique Chinese shop, just ignore the labels that say “Made in China 2022”.

6 Likes

The texture that I had created before is working perfectly for what I wanted.
I added some basic materials for the render but I’m not even sure if it’s going to be a copper, gold, or silver watch yet.

8 Likes

I’m not sure which color I prefer =(

6 Likes

giphy

3 Likes

Yes, I’m also leaning towards gold. Maybe slighly darker?
Anyways, last update of today:

9 Likes

I think I like the copper you added to your pose above the best, as it really shows off the watch because of the high contrast with the color of the watch face.

Oh, I just noticed the darker silver you just posted a few minutes ago. The darker the color, the more it contrasts, which in this case is better.

2 Likes

That’s it so far. I tried messing with sculpture to add some details, but it all got a little complicated - wrong facing, cracking up, remeshing surprises, and so on. So, there are still a few days to go, but this might be as far as it goes. In the meantime, I’ll get back to the courses.

9 Likes

Looking good. Silver or gold for an antique.

The texture marks in the metal are not ‘realistic’. They are neither engraving nor lighter scuff marks.

I await the cogs and such like of the mechanism that will show in the center of a skeleton fob watch!

4 Likes

UPDATE:

@NP5 I’m trying to get the scratches correctly, but it’s hard to do it procedurally. I added some more layers, what do you think?

9 Likes

I think the issue with the scratches is, there are too many of them. I don’t believe a pocket watch such as this would have that many marks on it when carried in a pocket.

Are you going to add a chain so it can be carried in a pocket? Most I’ve seen usually fit in the breast pocket of a man’s jacket.

3 Likes

And a protective shell …?

2 Likes

A WIP:

I have no idea how to apply scratches, wear and tear to this. It will be fun learning how to do all that for this challenge :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

The biggest issue with the scratches is they are too deep, more like damage scratching, or in fact, having rolled it about on rough concrete. Mild usage scuffing on gold and silver is very faint, more a slight disruption to the mirror finish.
Quick play.

4 Likes

Got it, I’ll keep some deeper but not nearly as many as it currently have.

About the cover: I’m not sure I’ll add it, I’ve seen models with and without it and I honestly think that without it looks better.

About the chain: Yes, I’m planning on adding it if I have time. I’m planning a small set that will require some more props so I’m not sure I’ll have time.

2 Likes

Got my base model and the main decals. Next i´ll try to straighten up some slightly weird angled faces and uv-maps. After that i want to give it some carvings and find a more natural way to shade it. Love all your projects in this collab so far!

7 Likes

@FedPete I just noticed something, the Deadline is off, it says February 26.

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms