2022 Collab: Week 46 "Gnomes" - VOTE CLOSED

This is sick af :fire:

1 Like

Decided to add just some small details to my silly entry. The card also has volume now.

ezgif-2-436c3da58c
o

3 Likes

This is the project phase to add (tiny) details to the model and upgrade the material/textures. But that will take another day.

I did a quick face paint, using vertex color mixed with a material setup.
Because my machine gets slow. Couldn’t add fine details because of the uneven mesh, due to auto dynotopo. Also, I saw possibilities for the newly learned skills of adding stitches using geo nodes. It was a fun, short project. With a lot of possibilities.

4 Likes

Speed challenge. Started today. Let’s see how far I get before voting :rofl:

This is my submission for now:

Looks more like some sort of goblin maybe. But the idea is to add a sack as clothing, and wearing socks. Kind of like dobby from Harry Potter. Then have him holding a rope to some deadly contraption with somebody just entering through a door. Most likely wont finish that in time, but wont stop me from trying!

2 Likes

Amazing !

This character has come up so well ! It’s pro grade. A lifetime asset !

1 Like

when all done this is going to come up fantastic!

Planning retop ?

2 Likes

Nope, this will just be a quick and dirty project. Just to refresh my memory with sculpting and have fun. Maybe I’ll use instant remesh tool later. I’ll see how much I have time with.

Update:

2 Likes

Update:

Used InstantRemesh for a quick remesh.

Start:

Added detail before remesh:

After Instant Remesh:

Here’s a tutorial by Grant to learn how to use the instant remesh tool:

Could probably reduce verts even more. But I’m not stalling on details here.

1 Like

Update:

So I got some clothes on the gnome with a cloth simulation.

First time I did this. But easy enough following enother tutorial.

Now I’ll try to rig and pose it, and create a little scene. Maybe add some nicer textures and paint it a bit too. gogogo

2 Likes

Why remesh?
If your computer can handle the mesh, and you don’t use it for animations, you don’t need it. Especially in a speed challenge.

My mesh is a mess …
with some bad sculpt setting, but it works.

3 Likes

Just because I wanted to rig and pose it with clean deformations. Maybe not necessary, but it’s pretty quick with the InstantRemesh, and it lags way less in the viewport so you can experiment more without inturruption.

I wanted to post an update before I went to lunch, but the forum doesn’t allow for more than 3 succesive replies. So I put it in a separate post. Week 46 Collab Submission

But now that someone responded I can post my update here instead.

Update:

Got a little rig setup.

Here’s a quick render for my submission.

I think that’s all I have time for now. Already past deadline. It was a fun project, and maybe I’ll keep working on it some other time. :v:

3 Likes

Awesome that you used geo nodes for the stitches. So quick to implement new knowldege. I saw that being done in a video, but haven’t tried it myself yet. Great result!

1 Like

No, I wanted too (I expressed my self a bit wrong).
I hadn’t time. But the (quick) textures look flat, and stitches would be a nice addition.

Sculpt has a ‘Pose’ tool which you can use to pose the model. Without armature.
That’s why I didn’t do a full figure (I would like too).
The collab is also a lesson in time management … :wink:

I’m going to prepare the vote now.

1 Like

Ohh I see, my misunderstanding too then, still looks good to me, but yeah maybe the stitches would look better with some more volume :rofl:

I did not know about a pose tool in sculpt! Will def check out, thanks.

This is totally right! I always think that I will have enough time to finish what I’ve planned, but fall short every time. Luckily there’s always next week to try again :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It’s a great piece! The only think I have to say is that I wish the card rotated slower so you could have more time to inspect it

1 Like

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.

And the new subject week 47 “Light and shadow has already started. The winner of this week’s “Gnome” challenge may select a subject for next week 48 and wins a badge.

1 Like

The T-pose or A-pose is seen as a default pose value, If you are going to rig, pose and animate the character. I would expect the same for the facial expression. Your default pose has a “evil grin”. Difficult to make it ‘normal’.

2 Likes

Noted! I was just planning to pose the body to be pulling a rope to a trap for a human (I don’t have a face rig), but didn’t have time. I’ve only rigged a lamp, flying squirrel, and skeleton so far :rofl:, but will keep your suggestion in mind for the next time I make a character. Thanks

3 Likes

“My mesh is a mess …”

• FedPete -

Well, so what? The only difference between mesh and mess is the h/s :crazy_face:

Of course I get what you mean. My meshes are total mayhem before I retopologize them and ( I am sure) my GPU hates me for sculpting that much with dyntopo on :sweat_smile:
The only reason I see for retopo on a mesh that doesn’t move and/or isn’t used in a game engine is the good practice.

1 Like

Congratulation FedPete.

I mixed vertex painting (nose, dark areas) with a material texture (skin).
I did this because texture paint can be slow on my machine, and you need to unwrap a (bad) mesh model. Vertex paint works good and also in detail on spots with a dense vertices group.

• Gordon - I like your gnome. I think, after a bit more attention to the textures (too shiny) and a bit of posing, you were a sure winner. Well done!
  • Yee - For a sort of fairy tale collab subject, it’s too much sci-fi.

Note: I don’t want to offend anyone for any reason. I try to write down positive ideas and visions that I have in my simple use of the English language. I am also sometimes more inspired by a particular subject or solution. I’m also learning from you!

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms