2022 Collab: Week 27 “Chimera" - VOTE CLOSED

Interesting mix. Two carnivores snake and lion and a herbivore goat. Eating decisions must be interesting!

1 Like

It was the first one, I was not clear enough.

But at @Tyger2 suggestion, I agree, Send in picture 4 as the entry one.

Nice Doggit, by the way, I actually mean to make my Chorillas dorky as well, but it accidently turned out kind of, well “Legit”. That was not on purpose- since I prefer the joke.

It has better lighting and has less going on, the other, is a little cluttered.

Here are my resources for the feathers and texture (crest for the Roarilla :slight_smile: )

babydown

crest
Feather1
Feather2
Feather3
Feather4
Feather5
whitefeather

The Crest came from this Pic:
the beak something I picked up online, and the feathers were grabbed from this painting:

Can you locate the three feathers I used?

2 Likes

New and improved!, with Banana arms and blueberry eyes- but it seems to be leaking orange juice.

I like the texturing.

1 Like

Hmm, your comments seem to fly over my head!

Cut it out, Are you trying to butter me up?

1 Like

Rather classical and ordinary.
Still needs heaps of work, but at least I got something usable done!
Found a use for my geometry node grass and flower scattering experiments of a while ago though!
Stupidly made an entirely new horse / man. Should have used my mule and a human I have somewhere as a starting point.

6 Likes

The old thing done well is just as worth trying, especially if it fits the bill- speaking of bill, does a platypus count as a chimera?

Good use of geometry nodes, I had some for vines in my original submission, but that was taken from here,if anyone wanted to try it (free). It lacks branches, but it implies them I find.

My environment was an experiment as well- the tree and previously mentioned ivy were pulled from tutorials. I agree with @Tyger2 about it, I stayed up too late at night to try to finish it, and so light and “energy” of that piece faded as I faded. More contrast, even if just different lighting, would likely have improved it some.

Irony of ironies, my final submission choice was not intentional- that Chorilla and baby were only side tangents to fill the picture in, both built off off the original Roarilla mesh- not meant to be the main event.

Reminds me of a saying I heard: “You cannot direct artists, you can only herd them.” They will give you what they give you, but in the end it is the people that have to like it. How many artists in any disciple had a work they laboured long hours over just have it rejected, but some incidental piece everyone seemed to like and they thought was rubbish? Even with poets, more often than not, their reader gets more out of it than the poet. This was Socrates complaint (Ancient Greece), and a Rockstar’s comment on his lyrics (he choose it not because of their depth, but because it rhymed).

3 Likes

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.
And the new subject week 28 “Vehicle” has already started. The winner of this week’s “Chimera” challenge may select a subject for week 29.

3 Likes

@TheDespicableDM Congratulations on your dangerous (deadly) looking Chimera. Your scene layout is good. It tells a little story about how deadly your creature is. The Chimera (and the animals presented) fit into the overall scene. Grassland, prey.

In general, I must say, all entries look good in their own way of implementation of a Chimera. We can see that back in the votes. Basically one or two votes distance. There’s not a distinctive winner. I think because most entries are based on some sort of sculpting, which is hard to do. Or at least time-consuming, for one week.

• Zangk - a great concept, but also difficult to read due to the feathers. The gorilla chicken (black one) has a more ‘Chimera feel’.
  • Lintary - I really like this idea of a bat and a rat (mouse) blending in. I miss the fragile-looking wings (subsurface, blood arteries/veins). And the most attention goes to the trap. The story is clear!
  • NP5 - a more traditional Chimera and well performed too. I think I understand why you choose a white horse body. But then the contrast with the human body is high. I would expect more blending in. Love the grass, so nice.
  • Tyger2 - I find your solution very smart. Simple and effective. Smart because you only need to model the head. Simple because the scene is self-explanatory, using a label like “Doggit”. A bit more attention to the details maybe?
1 Like

Privacy & Terms