2022 Collab: Week 2 “Desert” - CLOSED

I’m liking the camera angle and settings. The blur and distortion are we placed.

I think you’re right about the low poly leaves. The rest is definitely sylized, but not low poly looking.

1 Like

The tubes are too mechanical. Need a slight form of deformation.
Maybe are some saus (fluids) to mimic a oasis.

2 Likes

Gosh, you have no idea how much time I wasted trying to add displacement in such a small scene. I’ll end up applying all the geometry nodes and doing it by sculpting.

About the oasis, I was thinking about a chocolate pound, but I also have an idea in case it pollutes the scene too much.

1 Like

Imma try to make those out of paper. Just like a cheap decoration. If it doesn’t work then no ideas =/

1 Like

Work in Progress!

Suggestions will be greatly helpful at this stage.

10 Likes

Are those background mountains also 3D?
Front and back do not blend in …

1 Like

Yes, they are all 3 D.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will work on this.

1 Like

Maybe because of the harsh shadows on these mountains?
Normally there would be some smog, fog, burring things …
It’s difficult to say.

2 Likes

Yes, there is a Heat Refraction plane and material added there.

Seems, the noise needs reworking. There is a lot of PBR and Procedural already in making my computer kill on renders.

My bad, I set this up on Cycles since beginning

I feel this blends, but it lefts me with no other scope of putting up heat or volumetrics.

I can adjust for sand color to accommodate all, but that would be taking a short route.

2 Likes

Does this makes it?

6 Likes

I think it’s just the line which clearly separates the sand dunes from the mountain more than the color. In fact I almost like the earlier image better which shows a little more shadow on the mountains, but that’s just me.

Seems like a lot of work to model a transition, so depending on your scene you could attempt to cleverly hide it with some interesting foreground elements :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

9 Likes

I purposly kept those lines. I have ideas to differentiate between the sand dunes and shallow water lines.

I did away with those lines but came back to it.

Here is that render. Please suggest, which one will work better in your opinion. I am up spreading desert plants and compositing.

3 Likes

Sorry, what I meant was the line between the sand mesh and the mountains.

But either way, it sounds like you have good plans to continue improving it, and I quite like the start! :grin:

4 Likes

Additionally, I’d say that you can use darker and more desaturated colors the further away the mountain is, right now it feels flat. In the same way, the closer the mountain is the more saturated the color can be.

You’ll have to play around and find the right colors.

3 Likes

What you need to do is blend the foreground and background maybe have 2 to 3 more layers of mountain and desert with the color slowly blending into each other, will probably take a lot of adjustment

2 Likes

Well, I ran out of time. I wanted to go for a dual screen wallpaper sized image so it’s quite large at 3840x1080. The only thing I didn’t get a chance to add is the moss/grass blanket around the oasis area. There are some shrubs, but it could use a bit more.

14 Likes

How you did the sand dunes? Used a displacement or sculpted it?
Also, love the colors of the sand.

2 Likes

No more opportunity to work on it from now to Saturday?

1 Like

May be too ambitious, but here is the concept for what I’m thinking of (also showcasing my not so stunning 2D skills :laughing: )

10 Likes

Privacy & Terms