2022 Collab: Week 2 “Desert” - CLOSED

Unfortunately, I don’t have time during the week so…

FINAL:

EXTRA:
No, I can’t draw :sob:
I can do better but I’m using linux and I’m still figuring GIMP out… this tool is strange, photoshop is much better =/

card

4 Likes

I believe krita has a linux version

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ll check it out =)

1 Like

Krita, it’s a closer alternative to Photoshop than GIMP. They’re both good in their own respects, but Krita is my go to. Inkscape is good for vector stuff though.
Lastly, https://www.photopea.com/ is an image editing site that is very close to Photoshop. :slight_smile:

If you have a Photoshop license, you can use Lutris or PlayOnLinux as a Wine front end to install and run Photoshop on Linux too.

If that doesn’t give me away as a fairly well versed Linux user then I’m not sure what would. lol

2 Likes

Old Deserted Desert Castle Final

7 Likes

A lot of small and interesting details put into this! The cacti, rays emanating from the sun, camels entering the deserted castle. Makes me wonder just how deserted it really is?? :grinning:
The texture does seem a bit stretched on the individual leaves of the plant.

2 Likes

I never could quite accept GIMP coming from photoshop. I am learning Krita and like it, but I have no experience with Linux :confused:

1 Like

Yeah wanted to adjust it some more but all blendered out for the day

1 Like

Funny enough for drawing alone i prefer krita over photoshop, don’t like how gimp feels

1 Like

May I recommend Affinity Photo. A good alternative of Photoshop. I use it regularly.

Caveat is that it is not a free tool. Positive is that it is extremely budget friendly and a couple of times in a year they offer massive discounts, upto 30 - 40 percent.

1 Like

Don’t get stranded in the “Desert”

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.
And the new subject week 3 " Recycling has already started. The winner of this week’s “Desert” challenge may select a subject for week 4, 2022.

1 Like

Really good entries this week again guys. Keep at it

5 Likes

OMG you used my joke image :joy:
Well, not much worse thank the one I wanted to use so its ok :slight_smile:
Everybody else made an effort this week. Very nice entries and so hard to decide. Well done everybody:)

4 Likes

@FedPete oh noes

Ahh, sorry.
Normally it’s the last entry in the topic.

1 Like

I know. I was messing around and forgot. Not an issue. Happy to see so many good entries. That’s all that matters.

4 Likes

Congrats to @ZachDude
This lizard is simply amazing!

3 Likes

Thank you! And thanks for the votes everyone with so many good submissions! My first collab win :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

@ZachDude , congratulations with beautiful desert scene. Great sky and good composition.
Normally I will not add discussions points to the winning entry. But, the plant has a nice subsurface light feel. I miss this feature for the animal, which is also tiny and thin. (Just my two cents)

• igorfv - loved you chocolade animation. But somehow I find the background wall distracting.
  • Digitz - Great Sci-Fi feel, but maybe less saturated collors. Bright scene, but dark palms.
  • Mateusz - Excuse me for placing the wrong image. But the way you’ve managed to place a face in the sandstorm, is awesome. But I still see an elephant …
  • Willrun - The right cloud, looks (to me) a pirate skull with flames/hair. I would have blurred (of out camera focus) the plant. Subject is the settlement in the middle of the view. The plant is hiding that.
  • ice77 - Welcome with a nice low poly scene. Maybe too bright. I know it the desert, but even on my (dark) monitor it is bright. Great details and palm tree, cudos for that.
  • simgen - One of my favorites. But then wooden version. Which give the feeling of a (3D) painting in the desert. A bit surrealistic (Dali…)
  • umishrak - some of the comments place by others (The ribs in the middle of the image, takes al the attention). The caravan could have a more dynamic composition. walking from bottom left towards the trees.
  • Enodes - The sand dunes amazing. But I miss a reference in how big those dunes are (close by, far a way). It like rock texture. Rocks look te same close by or far away.
  • NP5 - I love you modeling work. But I asume too much work for one week. I hope to see a more developed version. Because all elements are there. Good model, a story, lots of details as some spots, which is good.

Have fun, keep the spirits up. And stay save.

7 Likes

I’m always happy to get constructive criticism, and you’re right! I didn’t even think about it.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms