2.8 Physics Engine Problems

I have a problem with the physics engine in this project. After I added the force field empty to the Suzanne Head as a child, the bricks and the Suzanne glitches out once they collided. I don’t know why it’s like this. Can I get some help please?

This is the link:

1 Like

Can’t see video because it’s private …

Oh sorry. I’ll make it public soon.

1 Like

Switching it to “Unlisted” will allow us to see it without showing it on your channel.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just changed it to Unlisted. You should be able to view the video. Also, I am willing to send a blend file but I can’t seem to find a way to upload that here.

Link:

1 Like

The first thing I notice is you’re using an older version of Blender, the latest is v2.83.2 LTS with v3.x due out soon. Beyond that, I can’t really tell from the video what’s up. If you share your .blend file I’ll be happy to take a look at it tomorrow.

To share a .blend file you will need to save it to a file-sharing site, such as OneDrive or DropBox, and then share a link here so we can download it. If it’s more than 100 MB or so please share it as a .zip file. We can always unpack it after downloading.

Alright. I just added a zip file into OneDrive. Here’s the link. Hopefully I did it right. Please let me know if there’s anything wrong with the project. Thank you.

Link:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvSAVaFb-S7vhh4efmqAgtM1iWnK?e=Dr2fVC

You have a force field attached to your Suzanne? So it’s effect is before Suzanne reaches the wall. So it blows the bricks away evenly rather than as the result of a collision. If I recall the lecture right it was done by the Suzanne in your case, hitting the wall. Collision physics not forcefield.

Though I am sure Capricas_Kirito will be able to work it out from the file. I could not get that to work at all well when I did it. lol.

As @NP5 noted, the issue seems to be with the force field you’ve attached to Suzzanne. Here is a video of me looking at how the field was affecting the annimation.

The very first thing I noticed when I opened your file was that Suzzanne just stops when she hits the wall. The second thing I noticed is that the forcefield does not stop. And finally, you’ll notice that as soon as the forcefield is turned off in the render, everything behaves as expected. This leads me to believe that Blender’s Devs still haven’t addressed the issues with Blender’s Physics engine which have been present since v2.80.

Bonus Video @Arif_Imran_Iskandar’s animation

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe I understand the end result you are trying to achieve.

You want the collision of Suzanne into the wall to have a larger or more dramatic effect than just the collision will cause. You intentionally want her to stop at the wall, maybe even fall to the ground, but you want the wall to be more affected by the impact.

I believe the cause of the glitch is the constant strength of the force field as well as the location causing the bricks to not know where to go directionally.

You’ll need more keyframes for the strength of the forcefield, start it at frame 0 with a strength of 0. Do another keyframe for the force field strength, still at 0, 1 frame before the impact. On the frame of the impact, put your forcefield strength where you want it (in your case 5000) and do the last force field keyframe there.

I also moved the force field slightly behind Suzanne and kept the parenting, although it’s not necessary at all for a force field type object to be parented or travel through a scene. I added a little fall and bounce to Suzanne after the wall impact and a second point light near where she stops at the end of the video.

I haven’t uploaded the modified .blend file or video yet, but I will soon.

EDIT:
Video link:

.blend file:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArjJ553lzgxHiBCsFlk8v9sos0CJ?e=Cfoued

Thanks for taking the time to check my project. Yes, I do want Suzanne to hit the wall. The thing is, I also want her to have rigid body physics applied to her as well. I took a look at the blend file that you just modified and it’s almost what I wanted to achieve. What I planned to do is also make her head fall to the floor after impact but instead of having the fall animated, I just want the physics engine to handle it for me. I tried implementing the method that you used and discovered that it wasn’t a problem with the force field. The glitching problem occurs when I tried using rigid body along with the force field. I tried using them separately and I confirmed that there were no problems with them. These are my results,

Link:
Impact with Rigid Body: https://youtu.be/5nEljtRClQg
Impact with Force Field: https://youtu.be/UGUefbLx6n4

When I tried combining the two together, only then I got the glitching problem That I’ve shown you earlier before. I hope I’ve explained it well. Again, thanks for looking into my problem.

1 Like

That’s great that you have it figured out and it helps me learn too.
It’s good to know that the combination of a rigid body and a force field don’t play nice together in this type of situation.

1 Like

Well, maybe that’s the reason why they haven’t updated this section of the course yet. Perhaps I will take a look at the latest version of Blender and see if they’ve fixed it. Thanks for taking a look.

1 Like

Hey guys,

The physics engine in blender seems to be a bit iffy.
You may have noticed that in the bowling section and lecture “Fun with Physics” we had to incorporate using animated and dynamic to prevent the pins jumping around before the ball got there.

I’m not sure if this is a bug or just the way it is now but trying to find a work around for the bowling section was fairly easy as we have a few pins and a ball but theres a lot more going on with the destruction lecture and so its on hold atm for reasons you have found above

Sorry for the wait for a reply from me on this

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms