1st person Beach Sandbox

Combat will probably feel quite a bit slower, 10 seconds or so to run up to the enemies in the picture, and in the case of the giant crab, I hope to make it so you have to get around the claws and flip it over, either by sticking a stick in the sand to distract it, or getting an NPC to help you.

I’m also thinking about the onion design theme generally, and I was thinking that it is kind of inevitable that we will get to a point where we are implementing mechanics that make the “core” of our game “less fun”, simply because the game has to have some difficulty, some chance of failure, and that is going to have to be some kind of negative experience for the player, even if that is just a “GAME OVER YOU LOSE” sort of screen. Maybe it isn’t a strict general rule that we shouldn’t implement anything that detracts from the core of the game, but more like a guiding principle until we get to the stuff that is unavoidably unpleasant? Or does having repercussive mechanics improve the core experience in some other way? Or is it just convention that games should have a “victory” state and a “loss” state at the end, and one is good and the other bad?

1 Like

Having repercussions supports the core of the game. In order to have fun you need challenge. That is part of later on. Have you ever played a game that is too easy? It is not very fun. It is important to have a balance

Privacy & Terms