Windows can't open Unity Installer

Hello Mr. Tristen, Hope your Holiday has been a great one!

I have changed over to a much faster computer running the same OS I had before, Windows 7 Professional 64bit. I went to the Unity archive section to download Unity 4.6.9. I tried both downloading and saving the installer to my computer and installing directly from the Unity site. In both cases, I get an error file saying that Windows can not open the file. My system is updated with Service Pack 1 and all drivers are up to date.

Any suggestions?

Does it give you any more error information?

is it a windows generated error, or is it an antivirus/mallware program information that may stop it?
whats the name of the file that you are trying to run, just out of curiosity (including file extension)

does a reboot clear? (just in case theres another instance running in BG)

1 Like

It’s the Unity Editor directly off the Unity archives. The downloaded file is titled, "UnitySetup-4.7.2.1482901442. In the file type margin of the file explorer window, the type is “1482901443 File” which is just odd but that’s how it downloads. No antivirus is blocking it.

I have attached a picture from my phone. don’t know if you can see it but it shows the Windows error.

----- Reply message -----

1 Like

It looks as if the download perhaps hasn’t completed.

What is the file size of what you have that has downloaded?

Updated Wed Dec 28 2016 10:05

Just downloaded the 4.7.2 Unity Editor file for Windows for comparison for you…

Assuming you are on Windows, and it was the Unity Editor file specifically you downloaded, if the file size you have is smaller than the above then you may want to start the download again.

If you have continued problems let me know, I can hold on to this file and make it available somewhere I’m sure if needs be.

1 Like

@Rob i just went and tried it and on downloading i got this.

The amusing thing is the download failed because i ran out of disc space (tiny ssd and forgot to change download location lol!), However even with a failed download i get a .part file not a .14 etc extension.
When i try to open the failed file it still gives .exe.part file extension and not the .14 etc
To me it sounds like something got corrupted during the download somehow as the extension does not match anything to what it should be.

Edit :- On downloading to another disc it worked fine (I have 4TB of drives and its still not enough!!!)

1 Like

lol - someone having a festive clear out today then? :smiley:

I suspect this is the case…

I just kicked it off to see what I get during the download and it created a file on my desktop with this file name;

Unconfirmed 8136.crdownload

O/S may make differences perhaps? I’m on Windows 10… but in any case I think @Ken_Hill’s solution will be to re-download.

Looks like a few of us have the file now Ken so you have multiple download locations to choose from :wink:

1 Like

Because of the recent doctor who episode i may have superheros stuck in the brain (I hated the epsiode btw) but i just heard hulk stating “Puny 120Gb hard disc” :smiley:
But yeah a clear out is required as i had 3Gb from firefox downloads sitting in that drive. However i have unreal and visual studio on that drive for performance reasons :slight_smile:

I think you may be right on the OS version as i just noted i am using Windows 7 Ultimate not Professional so not sure if it handles part downloads slightly differently.

I think the number on the end may well be a timestamp…

Looking at this:
http://www.epochconverter.com/

if you paste in;

it says;

GMT: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 05:04:02 GMT
Your time zone: 28/12/2016, 05:04:02 GMT+0:00

Which, may be the time Ken’s download started/finished(failed), albeit displayed in GMT…

@Ken_Hill can I ask what browser you are using please.

do other .exe files download the same?

I think I have resolved the problem. It was still active on my old machine. I had to hook it back up, connect to the internet, open the software, go to manage licenses under the help menu and select “release license”. Now the file is downloading on my new system as an exe. file.

We shall see…

hmmm… not sure that is related to the download… assuming you weren’t logged in on the Unity website, how would it know it was you? :slight_smile:

Keep us updated - I have the download on my desktop still if you need it…

I was logged in. Also, you have to put some info in when you attempt to download. if you have a single seat license , it is registered by your email. The option in Unity to return the license specifically states that the option is to release the serial number generated for the user to allow it to be installed on another machine. There are different tiers of Unity. The free version is a single seat license so like other academic versions of software such as Adobe, it can only be registered on one machine.

I do know this, it actually downloaded an exe. file after I went through the license return process. Unity is on my new machine.

1 Like

That’s really odd @Ken_Hill, when I read your reply I thought that perhaps when I visited the site I was logged in already. I’ve just checked it again and I’m not logged in yet I can download the install for the version you want without providing any credentials at all.

I do remember that it asks you to login when you launch Unity… but never seen it on the download. I am also using the free version.

I wonder if there is anything going on based on geographical location then, I’m in the UK and I believe you’re in the States? Would seem strange though… Main thing is that you have got your file! :slight_smile:

No telling. I’m glad it is resolved though. Could have been something going on with their site. Thanks for walking through it with me!:wink: I did report it on the support forum for Unity. Maybe they got right on it.

Best regards!

3 Likes

Glad you got this resolved in the end Ken :slight_smile:

1 Like

To install a download, Windows requires an executable file, which has a “.exe” extension (dot exe). Change the file name, removing any periods, to append the file name to include .exe. Example: change the name of the download file from: “UnitySetup-4.7.2.1482901442” to simply “UnitySetup.exe”. You can rename the shortcut icon to whatever you want after the program installs. After you add the .exe, double click, and the program should install.

Privacy & Terms