Why did my Unreal crash? (see code attached)

Hi, I have attempted to factor out the function returning the ‘Actor’ in view. Here’s what I have done:

/ / Called every frame
void UGrabber::TickComponent(float DeltaTime, ELevelTick TickType, FActorComponentTickFunction* ThisTickFunction)
{
	Super::TickComponent(DeltaTime, TickType, ThisTickFunction);

APlayerController* thisController = GetWorld()->GetFirstPlayerController();
		FVector ViewPointLocation; // <--- create the placeholders for the location and the rotation of the viewpoint
		FRotator ViewPointRotation;
	// set the location and the rotation with the reference getter
	thisController->GetPlayerViewPoint( OUT ViewPointLocation, OUT ViewPointRotation);

// UE_LOG(LogTemp, Warning, TEXT("The location is %s and the rotation is %s"), *(ViewPointLocation.ToString()), *(ViewPointRotation.Vector().ToString()));

// draw the debug line 
		// get the end of the line
	FVector debLineEnd = ViewPointLocation + ViewPointRotation.Vector()*flReach;
	DrawDebugLine(
		GetWorld(),
		ViewPointLocation,
		debLineEnd,
		FColor(255, 0, 0),
		false,
		0.f,
		0.f,
		flThickness
	);

// draw the tracing lines and return the colliding object
	// log the name of the actor under collision
	AActor * actorUnderCollision = ReturnActorInView();
	UE_LOG(LogTemp, Warning, TEXT("%s"), *(actorUnderCollision->GetName()))
}

// returns an actor that is in the point of view of the character, taking the reach (private variable) into account
AActor * UGrabber::ReturnActorInView() {

FVector ViewPointPosition; // placeholders for position and rotation
	FRotator ViewPointRotation;
	FVector EndOfView;
	UWorld * thisWorld = GetWorld();
	FHitResult Hit;
	thisWorld->GetFirstPlayerController()->GetPlayerViewPoint(ViewPointPosition, ViewPointRotation);
	EndOfView = ViewPointPosition + ViewPointRotation.Vector()*flReach;
	thisWorld->LineTraceSingleByObjectType(
		Hit,
		ViewPointPosition,
		EndOfView,
		FCollisionObjectQueryParams(ECollisionChannel::ECC_PhysicsBody),
		FCollisionQueryParams(FName(TEXT("")), false, GetOwner())
	);

// return the actor that was hit
	return Hit.GetActor();

}

as you can see, the tick component calls the function ‘returnActorInView’ each frame and then writes the name of the actor in view to the log. then it turns out that I write two times into log: one time the coordinates of the ViewPoint and one time the name of the actor in view. When I first compiled this code, it used to work but didn’t write to log the name of the actor in view. Then, after I commented out the first ‘writing’ to Log, the whole thing crashed terribly and it seems that I cannot recovert it from my version control. Can you tell what went wrong with the code?

Thank you a lot.

Me again. Actually that works fine if we control for the actor pointer being null pointer. When you spawn in the world, the ray doesn’t hit anything but unreal still tries to get the name of the Actor null ptr. That’s why it was crashing. Hell, now I understand why you need those version control things - Uneal is so fragile.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms