Which type of graphics do you want to use for your game?

I had always thought it was more simple to make 2D games than 3D games, but given the fact that there’s a course on Blender here, maybe there’s more of a drive to make 3D games than 2D. Which game are you more interested in making?

2 Likes

Good question!

For myself I think it would still be both. For a little project I’m working (term used in its loosest of senses) on at the moment I will need 3D - but combining some simple primitives has given me a good enough object to move around for a prototype.

Haven’t dabbled enough with either but my initial feeling would be that 2D would perhaps take less time, but I guess it could significantly varying from game to game based on the number of sprites/models required.

1 Like

3D art versus 2D art are very different skill sets. Having dabbled in both on solo projects and knowing the limit of my skills, I find that either is achievable, but the struggle is the finish and polish I desire.

2 Likes

I’ll be using both 2D and 3D designs on my games:

I`ll use 2d softwares (like Gimp, Inkscape and Krita) to create splash arts, concept arts, textures, normal maps, buttons, menus, frameworks and etc;

and I’ll use 3d software (Blender + Sketchup + unity engines) to make the game itself.

I’d rather make my games in 3d because I feel that 3d models are easier to animate, to edit and to reuse.

1 Like

@DaveB I agree that both skill sets are quite different. I just seemed to notice the emphasis on the 3D side here, which is what prompted the question. I would have thought 2D would be preferable for indie development due to its simplicity, but I’m now wondering if that’s a correct assumption.

there are people (many) that even for 2d games, they usually prefer to do a 3d model first, animate it and then transform it into a sprite. for me 2d animation is harder to be done

This is a rather thought provoking question!

I am getting closer to the opinion that more 3D games are being made because the software to make 3D art is more adapted to those who program. I am also of the opinion that 2D game art requires more of a natural ability to draw, a pure art skill. That is usually not paired with the natural ability to write code. Thus I would conclude that the programming crowd (as we have more of here) tend to make solo projects with 3D art to keep the one man show afloat.

1 Like

I’d not thought of it in that way before Dave, although will confess to having a few games ideas (term used in it’s loosest of senses) which were conversions of 2D to 3D… but for me, ability with regards to graphics never really entered the thought process ( I’ll be awful at both! :smiley: ) - but it was the challenge of taking a 2D idea/concept and seeing what would happen to it in a 3D world.

When I think about 2D and 3D graphics, having no real experience with either, I think I would lean towards 2D as being easier (this is based on having no experience) to create, only in that I know for example I could make a pointy shape to look a bit like a space ship, or a small line to look like a laser shot, rectangles to look like blocks for block breaker etc etc… that’s not to say any of them would look truly awesome. But when I think of creating 3D games, I start thinking of models, I’ve only played with primitives in Unity so far, it’s been enough for prototyping, but even if I could make some blob-esque thing look like something someone might want to use in a game, I then think, ooh, how will I add some textures/skins etc to that… my next thought is a sphere… how do I make a repeating pattern line up perfectly on a sphere, or a pyramid… pop <-- that was my head…

I’m sure if people have experience with both it’s easier to determine which they find easier, and if someone only has experience with one they may not know fully for both - I’m lucky, I know nothing! :smiley: I can be equally as bad at both and learn along the way… perhaps I should book mark this post and set a reminder for myself to re-post in a year and see if anything has changed…

I’m not sure about coding being a natural ability, I think some people have the type of mind that suits coding, and perhaps they have a quicker up take on it, I do think the basics can be learnt by anyone with a bit of staying power… I do wonder if there is a bit of a trend in that people who find coding easier, because that part of their brains just functions that way, perhaps lack more of the creative/artistic style? I know that’s true of myself, it all looks great in my head, and then like a drunken spider crawled over the touch pad when reality strikes… maybe we just get so used to telling ourselves this that we never release our full potential? Maybe it’s possible for us to be awesome at creating 2D graphics, 3D models and coding… but, as humans tend to be a tad on the lazy side, if we spot someone who is already awesome at one of those components we will happily let them take charge of that bit…

Wandering thoughts only… would be interesting to see where things are in a year… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

By the natural ability to code, I mean the natural ability to understand and use logic. Some people naturally have logical minds and others have artistic minds. The whole left brain versus right brain thing.

2 Likes

Gotcha… I wonder though how bound that is? I have no understanding really in that department, but wouldn’t it be awesome to think that which ever side is the more natural side for each of us, we could unlock the other side also and really expand on all of our abilities. I wonder whether people ever actually achieve this, kind of fully etc. Quite an interesting topic in it’s own right… :slight_smile:

That’s fascinating. I would think that even for 3D art, you’d still need to have an artistic eye, be able to understand things like proportions, lighting, etc. But yes, the tools are becoming more accessible to the everyday user, so that is definitely helpful.

1 Like