Where would you place ads in your games?

Share the moments in your game ideas where you think it would be best to place adverts to maximise views and reduce user annoyance. Would you use Simple or Rewarded?

I found this lecture very interesting. I had never really thought of trying to monetize a game having only started unity to fulfil a childhood ambition to make my own game.

I have been playing an android game called Sniper 3D which uses all 3 options (ads/rewarded and in-app purchasing) very well. You can watch an add to earn coins to help with purchasing upgrades rather than use in-app purchasing and it works quite well.
I must add that I wanted to make a sniper game but since finding this there is no way I can compete on my own and at my current level.
I’m thinking of a puzzle game where a user can watch an ad for a hint now.

Back to the lecture, wouldn’t putting the method call in update continually display the ad? Or would you call this class from somewhere else and add a line at the end of the if statement in the function to return to previous script/scene?

I’m leaning to rewarded @sampattuzzi - very much along the lines of “if you’re stuck and would like a shortcut to the next level, or would like a skin/hat/ingame credit bonus, or want to thank the dev for this free game, watch this relevant ad”.

1 Like

Depending on the type of game, I would provide different types of incentives. Mobile games such as Candy Crush where you’re limited to how many rounds can be played at a time, I would give more tokens for additional turns. Common rewards such as in-game currency, paid in-game currency, common powerup, or even make it part of an achievement watching more advertisements.

The achievement would work in multiple game types, but functionally similar to reaching a certain number of victories in games like Clash of Clans or Clash Royale. You could also have strategy tips displayed at the end of each advertisement, but nothing so valuable that it would break the balance and fun challenge of the game.

The script used in the lecture would require additional logic. Those sample scripts provided by Unity are meant to only help you get started with the basic framework. You’ll need to read additional documentation for added functionality.

How would the rewards given out the Ads affect the balancing of the game?
Probably the impact would not be dramatic…just came to my mind:slight_smile:

By the way, only games can be promoted within Unity Ads? The doubt arose with the last QUIZ answer: “make money by promoting other games in yours”

Thanks!

Usually you want such rewards to be cosmetic or something that can be achieved with more time/money spent. Think Clash of Clans.

Privacy & Terms