When to modify the RPG Course project

Hi all,

I’m currently working through the Core Combat course; loving it, grasping the concepts and even thinking about ways to take the game in my own direction to create my own game. I’m just at the point of populating the various stats in the Progression enum and I’m wondering if this would be a good time to integrate more complex stats, before the game goes further.

So my question is, should I start devising my own changes now or complete all of the RPG courses to generate the base game to work from; is it better to plan and modify or go back and change?

TIA

It depends on how comfortable with the code you are. You can learn a LOT from modifying the code, seeing what works and what breaks. What I personally recommend is that you have two projects, one that tracks closely with the course code, and one that you make major modifications to. When going through a lesson, first implement the lessons in your core course project, and then (and this will help your understanding 10 fold) do it again adapting it to your real project.

3 Likes

Thanks Brian, this sounds like excellent advice. I think I will branch now that I’ve completed the base stats section and experiment in safety of a branch vacuum.

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms