When is it ok to use an AI in your work?

@Bahaa , @Megane_Wang, @GDTVPrince guys thank you so much for your input!

You covered a lot of information so let me summarize what I learned from you so I can form a solution for my question.

“Do not be afraid, just take the risk and do your thing” - GDTVPrince

This sentence is the best answer for my question, the reason for this is we do not know if we have a problem until someone will point it out for you and it looks like whether or not you take risk or not.
And in this case I am willing to try to use an AI, other than not, because no one needs to know my entire workflow. If an AI helped me get the desired results? perfect! I got what I wanted! Do I need to mention that I used such help? Depends on the Project and where I upload it.

I tried to be proactive with the use of AI and this topic let me explore my options, turns out AI does not seem to go away if ever! it’s very popular topic in fact with lots off different takes and opinions.
We may as well embrace the fact that it’s there and take the advantage of it, because no one wants to stay behind in latest technological advancements which is an AI is!
Perhaps in a future a knowledge how to use an AI will be job requirement!
One way how I see the advantage of an AI is the speed of processing, you get near instant results for work that could take couple hrs or days, saving you time which is your most valuable resource.
Then as an Artist, we can evaluate the input, check for mistakes as AI does many due to it’s generative input and then we can edit whatever it generates and we do not even have to use everything what it generates and it’s best if we don’t if we want to be more original.
So as long as you get what you want, it helps your project I see using AI as a tool that can help speed up your workflow to generate your results faster.

So that’s my take on this topic, If you agree or disagree with me please let me know guys. every input counts!
Thank you!

2 Likes

here’s how I see AI:

1. Learn the craft itself, because AI will mess it up

2. Learn how to give extremely precise commands to the AI, because if you give it something generic without context about your problem, it will waste more time than you’d take to program your problem out yourself (I’m not joking about this one)

3. Get it to generate results, and fix whatever it creates to suit your needs

Remember, it’s an accelerator, not a replacement.

Good luck mate

1 Like

The more you use AI the sooner it will learn to replace you entirely.

I think it’s ok to use AI to generate ideas and use them to inspire your work but not use AI to generate your work. If you do use AI-generated stuff in your work it has to be in a transformative manner, for example, I used AI for one of the Blender Collabs to generate seamless textures of coral reefs:

Some of the generated examples

Something you would have a real hard time finding. Then I used another program to generate height maps for those textures and I Blended it. This was the result:

Collab Entry

It’s not exactly true that AI cannot generate anything new or original, as evidenced above. There is no massive database of seamless coral reef textures on the internet that was scraped to train the AI. It “learned” what a coral reef is and it “learned” what a seamless texture means and it spat out a result of what it “thought” the combination of those two things could look like. Just as the other program interpreted those textures and spat out the height maps.

But that’s all AI is, it’s just another program and a tool made by humans for humans. It’s naive to completely avoid using it since you will fall behind people who will use it.
At the same time if you rely on it too much you will never sharpen your skills as an artist, it should be an assist that compliments your work and helps you bring your vision to reality. Not something that does all the work for you.

All we can do is use it responsibly and hope it gets regulated well.

That’s my stance on it anyway.

3 Likes

And that’s very good, let it replace us so we can enjoy our short time on earth a litle bit more.

For those who allegedly lost their jobs and survival money, I’m so sorry about them.
For those who lost their “passion” and joy in life, they’re all hypocrites who suddenly got their hands tied just because a robot does what they allegedly love faster and subjectively “better”.

Privacy & Terms