What will I build?

Game Type outlines:
Turnbased - Asynchronous, simple architecture, low barrier of entry
Realtime session based - Synchronous, low to moderate costs / player base needs, UE4 support
Persistent / MMO - Synchronous, massive costs and player base needs

My background:
I made games as a hobby when i was young, and got back into programming using UE4 in the last couple of years. I have an interest in programming as a career, but currently am pursuing game making primarily as a passion. I consider myself an aficionado of competitive gaming, especially shooters.

What I want to build:
I’ve been tinkering with remakes of Fortnite’s building for a while, and have some systems I think are ready to remade in a networked setting. I’m imagining an simple but dynamic arena shooter. This will be my first big build to learn this stuff.

Once I have more hands on experience, I want to tinker with some ping compensation mechanics in a shooter. I have this idea of using a global rhythm synchronized across the clients (like a 500ms heart beat) to reference for important objectives, and use it to try to blur the line between a shooter and a turn based strategy.

Difficulties I foresee:
I suspect some of the challenges of synchronization could make it hard to just bolt my novel ideas on top. I feel confident, but I can’t actually know yet.
Also, getting steam working sounds scary.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms