What was missing? Importing from blender to UnrealEngine *SOLVED*

Hi everyone in the community.
So here I am going through the BullCowGame tutorial again and this time thought to actually bring in a bull to make the game more complete.

Took a small course about Blender and did my first try of creating something similar to a bull.

Painted it and saved/exported it as a 3D object.

Imported it into UnrealEngine.

And no way I could figure out by myself what have I missed or done wrong that the imported model did not appear with any paintwork.

How to get the models into UnrealEngine without losing the colours or should it be painted in the UnrealEngine?

And valid comment to this time and age. Stay safe and healthy!

Perhaps @Marc_Carlyon is better suited to answer?

Hi and thanks Dan,

The issue is here you cant take the materials directly from blender to a game engine like this the materials have to be recreated in the engine itself.
The reason being is that the game engine does not know where to put the materials.
You would need to UV unwrap the model which is a little complex to explain over text and then also be baking the materials out to a texture and applying that texture to the model in unreal.

At this moment in time i would suggest looking into Grant Abbit on you tube as he does an awesome live stream of making a character and even Berk from the classic cartoon trapdoor!

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Thank you for fast response and all of this actually makes more sense now!
I will try to post an update in this topic with a screenshot when task is done.

But for now I have got my answer and even a bit extra. :wink: cheers

All the best.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms