What do you plan to do next?

Have you thought about what you’ll get to once you’ve finished this course?

1 Like

just finished it today!
so far, im planning on continuing the Blender Course (in at the second section of it.) though, im thinking about delaying the blender course once more and go with the physics course. still not sure :smiley:

and at the same time, me and 2 other students(Blender Students) are trying to arrange Perhaps and hopefully our very first collaborative game. made by all of us. hopefully it works.

2 Likes

Build games! 3 in the pipeline…

2 Likes

I will:

*Finish this course along with some Inkscape, GIMP and Krita courses (which I’m almost finishing);

*Finish my study with Concept Art, Character Design, Game Design, Project Management tools and 2D designs/textures;

*Do the Ben’s Blender Course along with some other blender courses (won’t take as long as I’m taking to study unity, since I already have experience with 3d);

*Do the Ben’s Unity Certified and Game Physics courses, along with some other courses that tries to teach a few features that we can use in our games, such as modular levels, procedural generation information/levels and C# advanced techniques;

*Do some other “How to do X or Y game” courses from other teaches so I can see how different people approach the GameDev process, but I’ll try to speed through those courses only doing what seems new or at least to see different approaches, while trying to apply what I learned from previous teachers and courses;

*Do VR and Augmented Reality courses;

*Create a Website, a Brand, Logo. I’ll add a Portfolio with What I’ve developed so far (Mostly small games following some courses and simple 2d and 3d designs);

*Will start producing my own games with my own ideas and will polish whatever game that I’ve done in the process that seems to worth it, Then I’ll publish it to the mobile market and casual game market such as Facebook and etc. In the Meanwhile I’ll try to find some people to Collaborate with and perhaps start a small gamedev company. I’d like to aim at PC and Console market producing competitive PvP games at the long run.

This is my plan, I think that it should take around 2 or 3 years until I do my own Website and brand. Of course that if I find a good team in the meanwhile, I shall start producing earlier.

2 Likes

Sounds like you’ve given it a lot of thought Joao, a definite thorough ‘what to do next’ plan!

In terms of finding people to work with, have you checked out the collaborative thread - https://community.gamedev.tv/c/lounge/collaborate ?

Can’t wait to see the games you come up with :slight_smile:

Lucy
(Part of the GameDev.TV Team)

1 Like

Thank you for your reply @Lucy_Becker,

Yeah, I have a lot of studying to cover!
I’ve been doing a lot of study regarding 2d Designs this past few weeks, I`m almost finishing the study with Krita, GIMP and Inkscape softwares, now I’m going to finish my Laser Defender game using some assets that I’ll be making myself. Follow the painting that I’ve done this week in Krita (although it was only for learnign prupose):

Regarding the collaborative section, I want to finish at least the unity course first, after that I’ll surely start to be more active in that section!! Looking forward to that!

1 Like

Trying first just to find the motivation to complete this bowlmaster haha. I want to keep expanding my knowledge of Unity, while at the same time finish the Blender course and eventually move on and purchase the VR course.

End goal is to just keep making games :).

1 Like

At the time of posting this I’ve finished Block Breaker lectures and I’m now going to start looking up coding for adding levels, tweaking effects, replacing assets with my own and adding a life count along with two different game features that’ll make it stand out.

When I finish the entire course however, that one is a exciting, but scary thought as I am hoping to finish the various courses about art I have picked up off of Udemy and hope to get good enough to make assets for the future games I wish to develop, but as a solo it’s going to be really tough, but this journey will be exciting and rewarding in it’s own right too.

I’m going down a very difficult path by wanting to make RTS and RPG kinds of games that often require the most effort due to so many moving parts, however, these are games I want to make and as I learnt off a once-free course about game design (as the tutor has now added a price) “No one else is going to make your game for you.” which is the harsh reality of it that I’ll have to face and is why I began to put real effort and energy in continuing this course.

I am afraid that when I finish the course and start I’m going to stare at the blank Unity set up and then go “Where the hell do I even begin?” and feel completely lost.

1 Like

A lot of best things are born from people doing the things that scare them the most!

Even before you’ve finished I’m sure you’ll look at Unity and think “what am I waiting for” :wink:

Enjoy the fear Aron.

1 Like

@Lucy_Becker

Oh yes I’ve got that in my mind. In fact, I’ve been speaking to someone who finished this course and is currently working on a massive project (Cheshire) and I spoke with him about my fears and he responded that there was no straight answer for this topic and mentioned many different points, but the best part was the end of the message where he ended it with this:

Lastly, don’t ever let doubt stop you from trying something. It’s just another obstacle that slows you down. It’s always better to know you can’t do something because you’ve tried it than it is to never even try at all because you don’t THINK you can do it. As long as you’re not hurting anything (or anybody) by trying, give it a go. If you fail, trust the experts you find to fill in your skill gaps to make your goal a reality.

We, as people, can’t do everything… but we can do more than we know. We never find out unless we test ourselves.

You’ve got this.

I’ve kept the message so I can refer back to it and think this over when considering future projects I have in mind along with the scope and vision I have. I’m not saying that I’m not afraid, but the support makes me more comfortable that having the fear is a good thing. If I weren’t afraid, it’d mean I was some sort of delusional who was assuming everything I make was going to be perfect on the first try :smiley:

3 Likes

LOVE that! So brilliantly put - thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Lucy_Becker This guy does a lot of inspirational stuff too, This is one of the videos that really struck a cord with me: https://youtu.be/M-FZpoVM758

1 Like

Well, here is what I have been doing (after finishing the course, then redoing Laser Defender and Brick Breaker for review).

https://github.com/tdvance/Space-Rocks/blob/master/Journal.pdf

I decided to fly solo on something relatively easy and document the progress and process. In addition to producing a guide others could follow to make a similar clone, I now have in writing an outline of “how to make a game” that I can follow in the future for more complex things. The game is an Asteroids clone (though without that screen wrapping effect, since I wanted to keep it simple). I’d consider the document to be something a Unity course taker might go through sometime after having done Laser Defender, so I’ll call that the “prerequisite”. It’s just under 20 pages and “moderately” detailed. I didn’t explain every move like the lecture videos do, except in a few instances. Hence the suggestion that Laser Defender be done first.

https://github.com/tdvance/Space-Rocks is the work in progress. It’s actually playable, just without the bells and whistles. I decided no need to explain how to add bells and whistles and just release the journal before doing that.

1 Like

Note the game in the last post is released: https://tdvance.itch.io/space-rocks

For my next game: everybody likes cats, right? not me, I’m allergic! So I kind of feel for the mouse… so play a “guess what classic Arcade game I’m cloning” with this. The github project is here: https://github.com/tdvance/Maze-Chase

Here is the Game Design Document:

Rat Race

Classic arcade action!

The name of the game is Rat Race (the name of the git project was chosen before I decided that).

You control a rat in a maze. The rat must clear the maze of little bits of cheese while being chased by aggressive cats. Each maze has big pieces of growth-hormone-laced cheese which temporarily turns the rat into a super rat that can chase and swallow the cats.

Like a real rat race, once you clear the board, you have to race again. But of course, somebody has moved the cheese(s) now.
Features include

3 rats per play, bonus rats at various score levels

score points by eating cheese bits, more for big cheese bits and swallowing cats (exponential score increase for each cat swallowed while a super rat)

Lose a life if a cat catches you and you are not a super rat

High Score is saved

Options menu for things like music and sound effects volume

animated sprites, music and sound effects, and visual effects

cutscenes

handcrafted mazes with teleportation tunnels

bonus pickups

keyboard or gamepad control

play in your HTML5-compatible web browser

full screen mode available

Made with Unity3D

Screenshot of the prototype (mouse can eat dots and move around maze, cats don’t move yet and look like triangles)

Note, others may be interested on how I deal with the board design. Here is the script:

I basically use GIMP as a level editor to make a 40 by 30 pixel image, and pixel color corresponds to what is in the “cell” of the board. The Board script converts this to a playable maze.

2 Likes

Wow that’s really impressive. Not just the project, but what you did with GIMP and had it identify the pixel colours. Very interesting and impressive as you’ve gone solo on this. I’m planning on going solo too.

1 Like

Awesome to hear you come back here to see how far you’ve come :slight_smile: :cake:

1 Like

Hey Lucy :smiley:
Yes, there is still a long way ahead in order to fulfill my dream, which is to make a living out of game development, so it’s a good thing to look back and see how much I have learned these past two and a half years in order to fuel up and keep going. Even though we may not know what we will find along the way, we can be certain that if we keep going and don’t give up on what we want for ourselves, eventually we will get there. :slight_smile:

We may need to get a U turn now and then, slow down at some points and fine tune exactly where our destination actually is, but it’s part of it, and we will be the ones behind the steering wheel making those decisions.

2 Likes

I owe a lot to you guys :heart:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms