@ around 1:25 into the lecture Ben states we will have 16 blocks wide for the game space. I was curious as to how this number was chosen. Was this related to the image size and aspect ration in some way and I missed it?
I believe Ben based it on the iPad Air screen resolution, 2,048 x 1,536. If you take a look at the the Block Breaker slides in lecture 59, you’ll see the following mention of block size research;
Researching brick sizes
• Typical Arkanoid had about 14 bricks wide.
• Brick sizes from Wikipedia article.
• 128 x 40 gives aspect of 3.2 precisely*
• iPad Air is 2048 x 1536 total (1.33 : 1)
- but need 128x41 for it to work in Unity, trust me!
So, I think it goes along the lines of, 2,048 / 128 = 16
Hope this helps.
(p.s. I never did work out why 41 pixels high instead of just 40 though)
@Rob thanks, and after reading the slides and watching the videos again I realized it was because of the Arkanoid sizing. Clearly something that I missed the first time through. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
You’re more than welcome Shane