What annoying Real Life tasks are stopping you Dev'ing?

For me I have been spending quite a lot of time fixing my step daughters car. Still got at least a week to go.

I have also let myself be side tracked learning to play piano and read music with the online Piano Marvel tuition. Does a good job abating stress.

Family seems to keep me from dev’ing but I can’t say I mind too much :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Family and self procrastination!

Pretty much all of life like everyone else. My normal job, housework, social engagements, sitting there too tired to do anything but too awake to nap. I get the lessons done slowly but steadily, which is enough for me.

Heck, developing games keep me from developing games! I go down a rabbit hole every time I start looking for art or music I can use. I feel like I spend more time doing that than developing sometimes.

I’m doing the basic unity course and a few things are helping me:

1. I try to do at least a little bit every night. Sometimes that is a youtube video instead of the class but doing something I find interesting keeps me going.

2. I am trying to keep all my code checked into GitHub and I like to keep my punchcard fresh to it encourages me to do something and check it in frequently.

3. I try to post short videos of whatever progress I made on a game every few days. Sure probably nobody in my friends list cares at all, but I post it anyway because I feel like it.

2 Likes

Maily my job, in order to be able to develop on week days I normally have to stay up until 2am and wake 7am the next day, at least I can recover some sleep time on the weekends.

1 Like

I literally just had to stop deving to take the dog out for a wizz :smile:

1 Like

Family. Having two kids under the age of two is a big distraction from dev work. Luckily the youngest just likes to be held and will rest on my lap and let me dev. The older one wants to dev with me and I have to be careful and save everything when she comes over to me since she has already deleted several hundred lines of code!

1 Like

Give it a few years and they’re great collaborators. My son is 11 and loves Unity.

1 Like

Oh and hearing some music from Mass Effect in a youtube video made we want to replay through the trilogy so that took away from some dev time this weekend too!

1 Like

I would say Sleep is the most dreadful thing of all :rage:

I get to the point at nights where my mind melts from trying to learn stuff in Unreal like blueprints and trying to make things function since I am fairly new to that portion of it.

Then the eyes die; the brain dies; the body is sometimes still kicking; but the bed monster takes me away… :sleeping:

I always like to keep my phone or my notebook near my bed so I can record a few things before I pass out just in case. I wake up irritated when I forget what I was thinking of while in bed.

================

One time I worked on a clock function in Unreal right before I fell asleep so I was really tired. I woke up the next day very :angry: because I opened my project and did not see it there. So I redid the whole thing to only later find that I worked on it in the wrong project :rage:

Tacklin’ Fuel~

I can’t say it’s annoying but it does stop me and it’s martial arts. I do several martial arts and it does take up a ‘lot’ of time and furthermore editing videos. It sometimes can be mentally and physically taxing, so, less time for working on games. The thing is that sometimes - not very often - I can work out solutions to problems or get ideas for problems when working on martial art techniques.

So, pro’s and con’s :grinning:.

@Vaughan_MacEgan

I just had the funny picture of punching and kicking the computer to make a render go faster.

That would be a neat invention to increase the power and speed of computers.

It would be nice if I had the time and money to get back into martial arts, but there is always later!

Take care~

I’d say 2 years ago, I decided that I was spending too much time playing video games.

So in order to focus more on developing games, I decided to stop playing video games.

Crazy right? But it’s helped me a lot with learning to code.

Sleeping.

It’s such a big time-waster. Just when I get really going, like around 4am, I just start getting really tired…

Sometimes I have to eat too, which is this whole process that involves leaving my room… sometimes my whole house…

Doctors appointments, dentist appointments and family (the last one I have no problems with)

My job… I wish I could make a life out of game dev :cry: someone want to hire me? xD I don’t care moving from my country

Health

Sometimes you just feel so ill and it takes time to recover and feel so drained of energy. It’s best just to step away, go to bed and wait to improve and go at it with a clear head instead :slight_smile:

If you try force yourself before you’re ready it can be so detrimental for keeping the motivation going!

Privacy & Terms