Wargame Lost Battles

I also posted this in the FB Godot cmmunity but duplicating it here:

Since I was reasonably on top of the course lecture releases I decided to go ‘off piste’ and start a new project of my own. I have wanted to build a wargame for some time and have decided to create one using Philip Sabin’s ‘Lost Battles’ rules for recreating Ancient warfare. These rules are fairly compact but complex enough to be interesting,and since they use a battlefield made up of 20 tiles laid out in a 5x4 formation work well with a PC screen.

Of course, a wargame is quite a complex project and I will be taking it in bite-sized chunks. The first part will be a routine to lay out a map grid, which is pictured below. This was created using the Godot GUI components, and lays out a set of default tiles (grassland) and a selection list of possible tiles. The user chooses a tile from the list and then has the option to rotate, or flip the tile to create different orientations. They then select one or more positions on the map layout by clicking on the appropriate tile(s), which are marked as selected. Clicking on the apply button will then move the chosen tiles to the mastermap.

So far this has taken me about 3 days working off and on, a lot of this time was spent getting to grips with how Godot implements various nodes and components. There is still a fair bit of work to be done, primarily saving the tile maps as JSON files, and reworking the overall screen using the GUI container nodes, which I must admit I am finding difficult to use correctly.

If you have any questions, or would like further progress updates, let me know.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms