VS Code autocompletion not working

Hello, I’ve done everything in the troubleshooting page to get VS Code to work with Unity completions but it doesn’t. I get these errors on the console when opening a script from my project:

2023-09-08 12:39:59.212 [warning] The project file ‘/Users/alexd/Game Feel Course/Assembly-CSharp.csproj’ is in unsupported format (for example, a traditional .NET Framework project). It need be converted to new SDK style to work in C# Dev Kit.

2023-09-08 12:39:59.247 [error] Failed to load project ‘/Users/alexd/Game Feel Course/Assembly-CSharp.csproj’. One or more errors occurred. (This project is not supported in C# Dev Kit.)

2023-09-08 12:39:59.255 [info] Project system initialization finished. 0 project(s) are loaded, and 1 failed to load.

I had the same problem but got it working by installing Unity extension in VS Code. Hopefully it works for you.

Cheers. I think after about a day of trying different things I finally solved it :slight_smile:

However I switched back to Rider which is a hundred times better than either VS or VS Code. Unfortunately Rider no longer has a free version so I’m using the trial one for now.

I would like to know what specifically you did that fixed it (if you can remember), or a list of additional things that your tried. I am struggling with the same issue since the last VSCcode update and like you, the troubleshooting didn’t help and resorted to using Microsoft’s Visual Studio.

Hi @Elliot1,

Have you already seen this thread? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have not seen this specific thread. Thank you for sharing. :pray:

I think the thing that finally fixed it was to remove the VS Code plugin from Unity and install the Visual Studio one. It’s very confusing but VS Code is deprecated and VS is not.

Unfortunately Nina’s link didn’t help me because on Mac, when you try to download version 4.7.1 of .Net it doesn’t work, it downloads the PC version.

Oh sorry, just had another look at that link, this is a new link, not the one I was referring to :slight_smile: this one I hadn’t seen :sweat_smile:

Using the VS plugin (not VS Code) sorted it because it allows you to use a newer version of .Net, version 7.

Probably just going to use Visual Studio. I’m a fan of VSCode, but if it’s depricated, it’s depricated.
It’s highly unlikely that the IDE will make any significant difference in this course.

Unfortunately it’s a bit of a “moving target” issue right now.

It’s not that VS-Code is deprecated (generally) but its use for Unity has been. (At least for some time and definitely for the “VS-Code” package)

It’s highly unlikely that the IDE will make any significant difference in this course.

It should not (especially since the course is targeted for “Beginner Plus”, so people already having a bit of experience with Unity), but there have always been some people who seem to get lost already just because some highlight colours might be slightly different or when VS-Code added the rainbow-coloured bracket pairs feature…

As for using VS-Code, if the “Visual Studio” package is recent enough (20.0.20 and above) then it can also connect with VS-Code, so the older “Visual Studio Code” package isn’t needed inside Unity anymore. There are still some gotchas within VS-Code for getting Intellisense working, though. (Most of that should be addressed by the postings from Nina that were linked to above).

There is also a new Unity extension for VS-Code that comes from Microsoft directly, but there are some things you should be aware of before you install it.

• The new Microsoft unity extension depends on “C# Dev Kit”.
  • It lists a feature of “AI-Assisted development” (supposedly running completely offline on your machine)
  • And this: “Note: You are required to sign in to a Visual Studio subscription to use C# Dev Kit. Check out the Signing in to C# Dev Kit documentation to learn more.”

And also this carries over from Visual Studio:

For commercial purposes, teams of up to 5 can also use the C# Dev Kit at no cost. For 6+ developers, those users will need a Visual Studio Professional (or higher) subscription.

Privacy & Terms