VR Warnings for this section

Been doing a little bit of investigating as had a few issues with this section.

1. sdk 6.0 android is great, If you have a phone running 6.0 android. I had to install 5.0.1 (Although i now cant be sure that this isnt tied into another issue)
  2. You need to get the gvr-unity-sdk-0.6 as they renamed to googleVR at that did not have the demo packages.
  3. (May be tied into number 1) Adding the VR camera can result on seeing the google outline cardboard outline and a blue screen when playing in editor and on phone, Click the Main camera,Left and right camera’s in the options you need to change them all from Solid Colour to Skybox.
  4. Use unity 5.3.4f1 and no higher at this time. Anything higher than this and when you change text to world space your text vanishes. This version does not do this.

I have no idea why number 3 occured but it did but was an easy fix.

1 Like

Thanks for this list @Marc_Carlyon. It is hugely valuable. My computer has just committed suicide but I can’t wait to put these warnings into the videos.

1 Like

Just forgot to add its the actual download of the SDK i got thats odd. The prefab for the cardboardmain by default has camera set to solid not skyboxes. I also noticed you only had 4 prefabs and i have 6 including a cardboard manager.
I just applied back to the prefab after resetting them to stop them complaining.

I thought i would keep to one thread as its nice and tidy. :slight_smile:
L71 Loading the game.

If on a later version of unity students will find that Application.LoadLevel is depreciated and get an error.

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;
using UnityEngine.SceneManagement;

public class GameLoader : MonoBehaviour {

// Use this for initialization
public void LoadGame()
{
    SceneManager.LoadScene("Main");
    Debug.Log("Load Request");
}

}

The newer method to get it to load the game.

2 Likes

One thread is indeed tidy!

Thank you so much for posting this, @Marc_Carlyon! I was tearing hair out trying to figure out why text was not showing up. Rolling back to 5.3.4f1 did the trick.

2 Likes

Unity 5.3.6 seems to have fixed the world UI problem. World space UI was not sowing up for me either when I was on Unity 5.3.5 but when Unity 5.3.6 was released it seemed to work for me again.

1 Like

Thank you for posting this! I moved to the 5.34f1 of Unity and v0.6 of the Cardboard SDK and it seems to work now. At least it compiles and gives the static skybox view through the cardboard frame.
But I just notice another difference. The object hierarchy in the video has a “Cardboard” object in addition to the CardboardMain. That, I do not see in mine. Something to worry about?

1 Like

I noticed this as well but it didnt seem to matter.
I guess you managed to complete the section and havent had any issues.
Sorry i didnt reply sooner as summer holidays so kids are at home :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re right. Looks like it doesn’t matter.