Voxel Remesher?

Hello,

I don’t know how many of the others on here have started playing around with the sculpt branch (voxel remesher in particular). I have taken a bit of a shot at it and I really like how we are now able to add new topology really quickly on an as needed basis (sure dyntopo is good, but I feel like this way is more controlled).

That said I feel like I don’t really understand how it does what it does, especially with how it shrinks things and at some point seems to do just and only that while keeping the same undivided mesh as previously.

I figured I would drop this question here, as I’ll probably be searching intermittently for the answer on my own. If I figure out a good way to explain it I’ll reply with an answer myself, but:

Can someone explain how the voxel remesh works in layman’s terms?

1 Like

I’m not sure if I understood it right but the way to use it looks a lot like multires in the way you have to build upon the details from “shape” to “tiny details” while decreasing the voxel size(increasing the poly count), looking from this video.

Didn’t try the sculpt branch myself, after seeing this I might :smiley:

Edit:
Found another video which is not related to Sculpting itself, but the modifier Remesh which has the Voxel option now, and you can make boolean operations that don’t require fixing lol
Ofc… the topology is not optimized and may not work for every model. (Maybe pairing this to Optiloops Addon… might work…)

This is in the sculpt branch and not merged to master 2.81 yet looks like.

2 Likes

Great stuff. Thanks!

Can’t believe I didn’t realize that It was subdividing the whole mesh and not just based on the brush location.

After looking at the video and playing a bit I think I get it. The voxel remesh just subdivides geometry to the point that the spacing between vertices becomes even according to the set parameters along the entire mesh.

It’s a pretty great workflow if you think along the lines of creating the general shape and then setting the space between vertices smaller when it comes to the details.

I kind of do wish I could be selective in choosing which parts of the mesh to subdivide so that I could then grab and drag that portion out into a better shape, without adding all the extra geometry to get a similar result (that might be asking for too much and I’m not sure what other problems might complicate the situation).

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms