Updates to my Skybox Portal Reign Game

So after these issues are you planning to remove this copy of the repository?

Do I have to? Or can I commit with the a new name with the fixed issues? like so naming it Portal Reign once we fix the issues. I want to remove the original Portal Reign In the GitHub Repository. So I have the final game Sample committed called Portal Reign with all the changes / fixes we make can you follow me?

No you don’t have to, I wanted to check though because if you were going to, which it’s current name suggested you might, then you’d have probably missed the point I’ve been trying to make about Git all the way through. Equally, I would want to download the project and then find you had deleted it meaning I would, potentially, have to download the whole thing again in the future. I just wanted to be clear what your intention was before you went down this road.

I don’t tend to rename repositories, so I can’t recall whether the URL gets updated when you change the name or not, I’m inclined to suggest it doesn’t, but you may want to check that first, with a separate simple test project, then try renaming it, does the URL get updated or just the visible name when you view the repo. Again, I ask because if you find the URL doesn’t change, but you want it to just be “Portal Reign” at the end of it all I again don’t want to have to download everything all over again, should I be involved in the future.

All you need is one, clean copy of your project in a suitably name repo, and then you move forward from their etc.

So we will keep it the same for the duration but when I save it to my desktop will I be able to save it as portal reign. I know when I build it it will save to what I want to call it. But, for now, we will keep it as Portal_Reign_LaserSound_Sample I don’t want you to Download anything you don’t want to Okay :wink:

I think you should test whether you can rename a remote repository on GitHub and see if you get an updated URL.

No need to do it with this project, juet goto GitHub, create a repository, note the name and the URL, then rename the repository and see if it creates an updated URL, I have a feeling it doesn’t but I honestly can’t remember.

If it doesn’t then you may want to get your current project into a repository with a less messy name in the first place, so you get just /Portal Reign for example.

Okay I’m trying now hold on…

Okay, I changed the name to Portal_Reign but the files stood as Portal_Reign_LaserSound_Sample is this Okay?

The good news is that if you look at the URL it has actually updated, which is nice, I couldn’t recall whether they allowed that or not, as potentially you could break a few things that were pointing to it.

Regarding each mention of “Portal_Reign_LaserSound_Sample”, those are you commit messages, you may have perhaps left the commit message blank and it inserted the repo name in there at the time you pushed the commit.

So, potentially, if you don’t remove this repo and keep it as your master copy, then clone it locally, work on the local copy, and when you are happy with your changes commit them locally and then push them to the remote repository you should be good to go.

I apologize but I ruined the game trying to follow your instructions I have to extract the game from a saved file hopefully it will put the game back on my pc. :frowning:

All you should need to do is clone it from your remote repository - kinda the entire point of having it :slight_smile:

Okay…

Rob, if I clone it will the guns scripts return with everything else before I tried to make changes? I don’t have guns scripts or created or color its a big mess. :frowning:

I can’t really tell you that as I don’t know if you committed your your guns scripts, and “everything else” to the remote repository - only you will know what you have committed. Equally, you could have a look through the remote repository on GitHub to check, or, you could clone the remote repository to a new location on your computer and then compare.

The clone has the scripts and prefabs those are good things. Now does it matter if the assets in the GitHub are named differently than commit name?

No. The commit messages serve to provide an easily readable record of your changes, this aids review and helps you to understand and why a change was made.

I suspect what has confused matters here is that you have the original repository name as your commit message rather than something more useful. Had it said “Initial commit”, or, “Add player firing mechanic”, or, “Add sky box” _, it would be quite easy to tell what was what.

See also;

I don’t know how to fix that I just finished breaking the game I don’t want to do that again. Thank you

I’m referring to moving forward, e.g use useful commit messages.

I would recommend watching a few how to videos on Git if I were you, specifically around these types of things and workflow.

Okay I only getting the hang of it today I will get eventually. Thank you

Okay what I was trying to do before committing this file to GitHub is have the guns make the laser sound when I fire and fix the automatic gun fire at start up. I thought I let you know since we got diverted with GitHub. :slight_smile:

I am aware of what you are trying to achieve. I recall mentioning to you, twice, to refer to the Project Boost section of the course as this covers both the player input, particle emission and audio (e.g. the thrusters on the rocket).

You will already have code in your Portal Reign project for handling the player input, you already support the concept of the player firing as I remember I could press Space to shoot. This is where I would suggest you start, after reviewing the relevant parts of Project Boost.

Once you’ve had a go and made some progress you will be able to commit your local changes to your remote repository, so if you subsequently get stuck, I can grab that and take a look - note, this would be to take a look at what you’ve done, as opposed to writing it for you :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms