Unsure about the queen

So I tried to keep going with the same theme as the pawn and bishop - but it really wasn’t easy with the queen. I hoped to simulate kind of a dress with her body, and keep the more angular shape of the head. Not sure if I like the overall picture. Do you guys have any ideas how to improve it?

I also get weird black lines when I render with Cycle. Does anyone know why they appear?

8 Likes

I think it is the crown, which has in comparison to the rest of the body, many details (spikes).

The black line, can be due to Eevee engine. It handles light / reflection differently.

1 Like

It looks like the Queen is smaller than the bishop, which would be wrong really. So adding the height may help the Queenly impression.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice! I scaled the queen a bit bigger and completely threw out my previous concept, in order to make spikes etc. less detailed. It’s not perfect yet, but I think it’s better now. What do you think @FedPete, @NP5, or others?

Old vs new:

7 Likes

I like the Queen, it has some magnitude.

1 Like

Did you use a mirror modifier? Perhaps the vertices in the middle were not merged? Or you got internal faces, you can check that if you go to wireframe mode and have a look if in the middle of your model are some faces.

For the queen I didn’t use Mirror-modifier. But I’ll check for internal faces, thanks!

1 Like

I think Manu is referring to your Knight. It looks like two separate pieces placed on a single base. Unless, of course, that was the look you were going for.

Ah yes - I put a “split” in there on purpose. ^^ Tried to make it fit more to the rest of the set.

Ahhhh, OK. I just wasn’t sure if that was the look you were after.

It looks a bit buggy on the “pink” picture. So I saw immediately why one could think that! If that is is - is it better in this picture? Otherwise, I should maybe overthink the design. Don’t want it to look like something “isn’t right”

Btw. thanks for commenting - I love to have a community that can help. Many eyes is always better than just the two that I possess!

4 Likes

Can you please tell me how you did that kind of textures?

Of course - which one are you specifically interested in?
Because the knight I did a bit different, using Mirror Modifier and then adjusting it at the end. For the others I simply adjusted the pawn.

I made vertical loop cuts and scaled them down (=in). So it isn’t too spiky, I used the Bevel tool.
Not sure if that helps? Or let me know, what exactly you’d like to know :slight_smile:

1 Like

I m interested in queen and the king

Both queen and king were adapted from the pawn. Rotate some edge loops and merge some vertex for spikes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank You!

Wow :heart_eyes: , that is amazing work, very interesting style!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms