Unreal 4.22 and latest Mac C compiler incompatible

Hi, I have the same error reported a couple of days ago with MeshDescription header file on Mac. from the comments I understand that the reporter altered files generated by UE4 to unblock themselves which seems like a whole can of worms waiting to happen to me. The solution should be to use the latest UE4 version which is compatible with the latest mac compiler or to revert to an earlier compiler surely?

What’s the recommendation here?

All the course content so far has stipulated using 4.22 regardless, I’m assuming to stop any problems of UE4 library updates. This would suggest switching compiler would make more sense. I can install gcc or an earlier version of clang and I’m assuming I can instruct UE4 to use those compilers instead of the current system compiler somehow?

Some advice on which version/compiler would be best to avoid further issues as the course progresses would be appreciated.

Also as it stands I’ve just brought a course which is seemingly incompatible with the latest Mac libraries and no guidance on setup with compatible versions has been given in the course itself which kinda burns a bit. Maybe some documentation updates are needed :smiley:

One other note, on Mac the logs are put in /User/~/Library/Logs . . . not the project folder and that’s a hidden path by default so might need some more guidance for people with Macs in your help us help you video.

There is no such thing yet. Epic have fixed this but it’s not in any release yet. I have recommended to others on Udemy to stay on Xcode 11 with Unreal 4.25. You may need to downgrade further with 4.22 as 11 support was only added in 4.24, looking at the release notes.

So I continued the course using 4.25 which removed the compile time errors and happily enough you guys seemed to have added snippets to latter videos describing interface changes so I had assumed all was good. You seem to be using Xcode to describe the compiler which is giving me some confusion?

I have realised that the same bug that causes issues building VS Code dependency trees also exists in Xcode in an unfixable state until 4.26 so using it as an IDE is a no go but are you saying the compiler is going to cause issues in any IDE?

Looking online the UE4 toolchain uses clang v9 for 4.25 so one would assume installing that version and configuring an IDE with said compiler would solve everything?

Unreal uses the toolchain provided by Xcode.

Ok I see so configuration nightmare ensues when you try to decouple that :smiley:

So I’ve switched to VS Code which has given me code complete and there doesn’t seem to be any trouble with the compiler so far but I’m still on BullCow so I’ll guess we’ll see and I’ll look at downgrading if I hit issues in latter projects.

Thx for the help.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms