Unity RPG Game Animator + new input system + Gamepad Issues

Hey Guys,
I’m currently doing the RPG Course on Udemy.
I’m still very new to Unity, so please don’t rage after reading my Question ;D
I want to control my Player with a Gamepad (Ps4 to be precise).
I also would like to use Unity’s new input system. Moving the Player already works quite fine.
But I don’t get how to bring the input from the left Stick through the new input system to my Blend Tree in the Animator. My Movement is still very simple. The only direction is Forward.

Hopefully one of you Guys can help me.

Thanks in advance

Frizzle618

1 Like

This is one of those ideas that cascades into multiple massive problems later on in the course. As the course was designed with point and click movement/interface in mind, we cannot guarantee support if you head in this direction.

A few issues you’ll be dealing with:

• You’re already dealing with the first issue, matching animation to input. Probably the easiest, since you’ve elected that the only direction is forward (presumably left and right will simply turn the player) meaning you can probably send move.y * the maximum speed in the blend tree to setFloat(“forwardSpeed”);
  • You’ll need to figure out how to target enemies, as they are currently targetted with the mouse pointer. As structured, Fighter and Mover want targets.

There are some students who have been working on these issues. You might check in our Discord as more issues arise to see if any folks have worked through this. I’m not saying it can’t be done (it certainly can and has been done), I’m just advising that it’s next level and you will encounter some road blocks along the way.
Also (not sure if you’ve completed the course or are just getting into the movement section), we strongly recommend keeping a project that closely tracks our original project, especially as you follow along with the course. If your project is full of extraneous code, I can’t guarantee we’ll be able to help if an issue arises with a lesson that is actually being caused by code drift.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms