UNITY 5.6 BETA with Google Daydream & Cardboard VR support

From Unity blog (https://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/12/13/unity-5-6-beta-is-now-available/):

The beta supports native Google Daydream. To get optimal performance and latency from the platform, we integrated with the Daydream NDK to leverage the platform’s asynchronous reprojection and VR performance modes.

Compared to the Google VR SDK for Unity released at Google I/O, we now provide a more streamlined workflow, significant optimizations and reduced latency. No prefabs, scripts or manual manifest modifications are required to get started–simply enable VR and add Daydream as a targeted platform to begin making your own virtual worlds.

We have also made it easy to switch in and out of VR mode so that your applications can easily expand to the Google VR audience. You can also have your application target Google Cardboard with native support. Applications which target Cardboard will work on older devices so you can reach as many users as possible. At this time, Cardboard support is exclusive to Android with iOS Cardboard support coming soon.

If you are interested in learning more about Google Daydream with Unity, see the Unite 2016 Daydream presentation.

What do you think about it?

1 Like

I’ve been using the GoogleVR SDK on 5.6beta for almost a month now, after doing a few Vr prototypes on 5.5 for GearVR. I’ll say the Google SDK is pretty easy to get into, and makes handling the controller inputs very simple. I had some issues with the GvrPointer and raycaster, but sorted it in a few days.

The beta seems to have a rendering problem in the editor sometimes, and the controller emulator complains a bit, but no real problems. That said, I’m really looking forward to the 5.6 release at the end of the month :slight_smile:

You can also have your application target Google Cardboard with native support.

Does this mean we no longer need google vr sdk?

Yes, I think it does. You no longer need the Google VR SDK (Cardboard SDK) for creating VR apps, but you still probably want to use it as it provides additional features. I would stress out that with it you can test the VR mode inside Unity Editor and also you can use the reticle prefab (the dot / circle in the center of screen which grows bigger when you look on an interactable object).

The Google VR SDK for Unity provides the following additional features:

• Daydream controller support.
• Spatialized audio rendering.
• A simple reticle prefab and associated scripts for gaze-based user interaction.
• VR emulation in the Unity editor’s play mode, using the mouse and alt/control keys to pan or tilt the camera.
• A “Headset Demo” scene showing a simple Cardboard game, and a “Controller Demo” scene integrated with the Daydream controller.
• A FPS display prefab showing the rendering performance of your application.

https://developers.google.com/vr/unity/ - official Google VR SDK for Unity website

1 Like

Privacy & Terms