Try Levitaste! My take on 'Project Boost'

Hi folks!

Here’s what I created for the ‘Project Boost’ section of the Unity Course v2. Please have a bash at it and let me know what you think :slight_smile:

There are currently only 5 levels, but I’m designing some more using new assets as I create them. I wanted each level to introduce a new gameplay element and not just be a re-jigging of an older level so this might take some time. Ideas for this are greatly appreciated!

I’d like to thank Ben, Rick and the other course tutors for all their hard work. Their courses have been a fantastic and rewarding journey for me, and thanks to them, I’m constantly learning and improving. Can’t wait to throw some ideas together for the rest of the course.

Thanks and enjoy!

12 Likes

Hi,

i really love the crazy idea and the music. I just played level 1 and 2. For me, level 2 ist too heavy.

Cheers man! I’ll slot some levels in between to reduce the difficulty curve. Much appreciated!

Rotation just feels a little sluggish. But awesome still.

Thanks man, ill up the sensitivity and reupload later today.

Very nice idea and great game so far :slight_smile: Played until the end, well done :+1:

Very nice, cool idea and it works well.

Thanks everyone!

I updated the game earlier today taking into account your suggestions, there’s a smoother difficulty curve and more responsive controls. Your feedback was greatly appreciated. I’m hoping to add more levels in the near future so watch this space :slight_smile:

nice job! I was able to beat all the levels - nice scaling difficulty.

Great work mate. Really creative thinking and application :slight_smile:

Well made, innovative, good music and handcrafted assets!
Its hard tho :wink: The Onions go really fast and personally I would speed up the player abit.

I played your other game on Itch too, relaxing :slight_smile:

This is a fantastic take on Project Boost, lovely idea and some really interesting level design which make the game challenging and fun.

I especially struggled on the first double-onion level! :slight_smile:

Things that may be nice to add, although I’m sure you have a wealth of ideas/suggestions already;

• different vegetables / fruits, so it’s not just a carrot :slight_smile:
  • different particles for collision, being a carrot I was expecting to perhaps be “chopped” into slices by the knives etc
  • differing missions could be fun, perhaps I need three carrots on one level, a potato and a leark on another, tomatoes and so on, each could have something unique about it which make it interesting/challenging
  • success particles could be replaced with perhaps an animation of something happening once you get to the destination, dropped into a cooking pot, or chopped up or both.
  • I really like the extractor / heat rising idea, you could have mini versions of this with pans giving off heat over the cooker
  • time limit to complete each level?
  • award a number of “stars” (or pepper mills or something cuisine related) based on how well the player did, e.g. time it took, energy used
  • provide an option to retry the same level to improve on the number of “stars” / time etc

Really enjoyed this and worked my way through all of your levels. Well done Lee :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for all the really helpful suggestions, I’ll get to work on implementing these - some really great ideas, much appreciated!

1 Like

https://latheus.itch.io/levitaste

Hi all! Just sharing a quick update!

I’ve spent the last couple of weeks working through the brilliant feedback you guys have shared with me both here and on the facebook page, and I’d say I’m about 50% of the way through the features you guys suggested I add.
If you’ve got chance, please have a bash at it and let me know how you think it’s going :slight_smile:

New features so far:

• 10 crazy levels, see if you can beat them all!
  • Start screen UI with level select and unlock mechanics
  • Earn up to 3 stars on each level
  • Stars are awarded for finishing the level, good timing and obtaining the pepper shaker
  • Progress ‘should’ be tracked between games
  • New collision effects when you hit knives
  • Probably other things I’ve forgotten to mention here

The next update should include unlockable fruits and veg - let me know in the comments which you’d like to see!

Big thanks to you guys and also to Ben and Rick for all their hard work and inspiring creators to have a good bash at making projects like this!

Oooh, this has come on a lot! Nice work Lee.

• Spotted this on the first level;

I’m guessing the stars are award for;

• carrot on chopping board - star 1
    • under 10 seconds - star 2
    • collecting the star and carrot on chopping board - star 3

I only achieved two of those, but the highlighted stars aren’t the ones I’d have expected :slight_smile:

…maybe not then! :slight_smile:

oooh, I got three stars on this one - but I don’t know why… got the pepper, had to try about 15 times on this level… lol…

if there is a time limit for a specifc star - perhaps some affordance on the level to indicate the required time(s)?

• I love the carrot being diced by the knives on level 3 :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I spotted that they don’t still get diced if you have made contact with something else first though, e.g. I hit a pan handle, particles appear, I bounce off and hit a knife…

also, you do get diced if you hit the handle of the knives, fairly minor, but my OCD was raging :smiley:

• The timer is a really nice addition and gives a sense of haste and, if you succeed you can try again to beat your time - nice :slight_smile:

I did notice that it starts automatically, and, because the moving items in the levels do not reset so to speak, sometimes you might restart the same level with a knife in the air, or half way down and have to wait - as such, this would effect any time goals that the levels may have, or, just trying to beat your own personal best.

You could consider not starting the timer until player input is received, they would be then indicating they are ready and could time their move in line with the moving items.

• “Tasty” on the stars pop up could perhaps be a little more random for other food related terms?

• tasty!
    • yummy!
    • scruptious!
    • tang-tastic!
    • saucey!

etc… :slight_smile:

• The level with the two spinning knives, moving side to side, with the steam from the cooker etc (lost track of the numbers, sorry) - it’s possible to collect the pepper and hear the “ping” after you’ve been diced…

On a related note, seeing a number of the level you got to would be awesome :slight_smile:

This level is insanely challenging btw… I found myself also trying to dodge the shadows of the knives, which might be partly why I found it so hard… happy to say I went on to get 3 stars! :smiley:

• Particles - you have got some really nice models and the art style is great, really fits well, but I think the particles from the course version of Project Boost don’t really fit - would be nice to see something different here

I have to say, Lee, this is a really challenging and captivating game - I hope the feedback is again received in the constructive way it was intended and that it may be of some use and I really look forward to seeing what you do on this next.

Well done!

1 Like

Hi Rob,

Thanks again for the praise, and the extensive and detailed feedback - lots of great ideas which’ll get implemented very soon I hope!

The time required to get the star on each level is different depending on the complexity, but yeah - I might make the timer turn red once you’re over the required time. I’ll also make it start on the player’s first input.

Much appreciated!

1 Like

You’re very welcome Lee, I shall look forward to the next carrot chopping update! :slight_smile:

Hey Lee,

Got to say, very well done. What a creative take on the game and your game elements were highly creative. I really enjoyed playing and even though I know the base code behind, your game felt completely different than mine. The movement though I understand it was being manipulated by mind, seemed like it had a touch too much drag for slowing down, but I think it works well in your style. It kept me going until I finished your 10 levels. You kept this player engaged. Well done! :smiley:

Jenn

1 Like

Thanks for the kind feedback Jenn, I’ll have a look into lowering the drag for the object slowing down and see how it affects the gameplay difficulty. Much appreciated ^^

2 Likes

This is wonderful. I like it so much.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms