Tip: Face Orientation helped me find intersecting faces

Anyone else have any insights on this? Inspecting my object with Face Orientation turned on showed some weird red artifacts where I created the additional mesh on top of the chess piece base mesh. I remembered they were still separated, so bridging the edges cleaned it up! Is Face Orientation reliable to detect this?

Before

After

1 Like

Not a thing I have used. But it looks a useful extra check if something looks wrong in a render. If looking to find separated geometry the alternative could be selecting one vert and hovering the cursor over it and pressing ‘L’ to get all the linked verts. Should see any not highlighted, or a temporary grab and move about would.

Or a ‘merge by distance’ would probably have found the one in your case too.

I have a tendency to use the merge by distance if the vertices are close together, but have to say the bridge edge loops is a nice addition to the tool kit, for when the vertices are not close.

1 Like

It can help, but it’s not really reliable - you’re as likely to spot that sort of issue by noticing weird flickering or shading artifacts when moving around your model.

You can use “Select All by Trait > Non Manifold” to get Blender to select any vertices that fail one of its ‘manifold’ checks: then use wireframe mode if you can’t see (between the scene info and the visual highlight) if something has been selected. I use this method whenever I’m modelling something for 3D printing, and then manually address any issues that need addressing (some things that count as ‘non manifold’, such as shared vertices, don’t always cause errors).

1 Like

Privacy & Terms