This is completely broken in 5.1 Please update (Solved)

Yeah, whatever they did in 5.1 breaks so much. My general advice is unless you need 5.1 features, stick with 5.0. It is far more robust and you wouldn’t think that would be the case but it is true. I also found with 5.1 that my pc is struggling and yet 5.0 was fine. Mostly gpu but framerate halved in 5.1

These kind of breaking changes has happened before with 4.21. That was a truly bad release and used to corrupt projects. 4.22 onwards are great. In fact, 4.26 to 4.27 also had issues.

It is best to stick with a release until at least 1 update for it has appeared. It didn’t help 4.21…

in 5.1 the fix for the Widget Blueprints not showing up is adding the “Super::Init();” inside the GameInstance CPP file.

1 Like

That helps but it’s not the only step required. If you upgrade your project from an earlier version, assign in the init call does not work properly.

I didnt upgrade the project, started the project in 5.1

Yes, Super::Init() resolves the issue if you start in 5.1. If you upgrade as many have, it does not.

Hi there. I upgraded a project and encountered the same issue (and later found this thread).

My project was started in 4.27, had been working in 5.0 for a long time. I finally decided to check what would happen if upgrading to 5.1; everything compiled, no warnings, but my menu wasn’t showing up after being added to the viewport.

I saw the suggestion here of adding Super::Init to my game instance. I tried that & subsequently my menu is showing up as desired. I haven’t checked the history on the UE codebase but assuming the constructor on base game instance has had something added to it. I should’ve had that call on there beforehand myself >_<

Might help some ppl:

I had the issue of the menu not showing up in UE 5.0. I Found that my issue was, that creating a new map (not copying one) makes it without a selected GameMode (none).
When I did set a GameMode Override in World Settings, the menu widget showed up immediately.

2 Likes

Hattila you totally saved my day (project version: UE 5.3.1)

This is the magic button.

The issue with the menu is it is missing Super::Init() in a class which prevents it from initialising correctly. The breaking change was introduced in 5.1 or later.

Adding Super::Init() helped. Thanks a lot

Privacy & Terms