This code does not work! Enemy disappears instantly! (Laser Defender)

This code is nearly 100% identical to the lecture typed out in Unity2D Lecture #96. I have no idea why it does not work; the enemy ship does not move to the waypoint’s coordinates, but rather disappears instantly upon runtime.

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;
//COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
public class EnemyPath : MonoBehaviour
{
    //Pro tip to self(ownder): "List<type> (variable name)" is NOT an array!

//Config Parameters
    [SerializeField] List<Transform> waypoints;
    [SerializeField] float moveSpeed = 2f;

[SerializeField] bool ToggleDebugMode = false;

//Variable
    int waypointIndex = 0;

// Start is called before the first frame update
    void Start()
    {
        //Retrieves the 1st waypoint's coordinates, and relocates the enemy ship
        //To the 1st waypoint.
        transform.position = waypoints[waypointIndex].transform.position;
    }

// Update is called once per frame
    void Update()
    {
        //StartCoroutine(MoveCor());
        Move();
    }

/*****
     * MOVE
     * Enemy ship moves to assigned waypoints' coordinates.
     * targetPos is assigned to the waypoint's coordinates, relaying where the ship should move to.
     * movementThisFrame is assigned to movesSpeed * Time.deltaTime (again, to ensure it moves consistently,)
     * This ship's position is made equal to Vector2.MoveTowards(Vector2 current, Vector2 target, float)
     * -"Vector2 current" should be the object's current position, so ideally it's always "transform.position",
     * -"Vector2 target" is where the object is assigned to move to.
     * -"float" variable is the object's assigned speed. It'll never go faster than this float variable.
     * The if & else statements check if the ship is at one of the waypoint's coordinates.
     * -If it is, increment waypointIndex, thus telling the ship to move to the next waypoint.
     * -Else, destroy itself once all waypoints have been visited.
     * TODO: Add a function that allows it to operate even without waypoints, and it'll despawn once offscreen to the left.
     *****/

//THIS JOKE OF A METHOD DOES NOT EXECUTE PROPERLY AT ALL!
    //DO I HAVE TO WRITE SOME TERRIBLE SPAGHETTI CODE TO GET THIS TO WORK?!?
    private void Move()
    {
        //Arrays use ".length", and Lists use ".Count". 
        if (waypointIndex <= waypoints.Count - 1)
        {
            var targetPos = waypoints[waypointIndex].transform.position;
            var movementThisFrame = moveSpeed * Time.deltaTime;

transform.position = Vector2.MoveTowards
                (transform.position, targetPos, movementThisFrame);
            if (transform.position == targetPos)
            {
                waypointIndex++;
            }
            else
            {
                Destroy(gameObject);
            }
        }
    }
}

EDIT: Updated code to include the rest.

Saw this same question in the talk category and your code looks identical. Did you perhaps forget a closing curly brace? As written, your code checks to see if the object is at it’s target position and destroys the object if not.

Updated the code to include the rest of the script. See if there’s anything weird going on.

Capricas_Kirito is correct, the code is doing exactly what you have told it to.

If the ship’s position is equal to the waypoint’s position, your waypointIndex is incremented. If it is not equal, you destroy the gameobject. Therefore when you run the scene and the ship is not at the waypoint, the ship is destroyed.

The solution is to move the else block so that it is called as an alternative to if(waypointIndex <= waypoints.Count - 1). This way it is only called when there are no further waypoints. Capricas included a link to this solution in the previous post.

Oh. Saw the post while I was half-awake, so I didn’t even see the link. I’ll look at it soon.

Edit: Holy mother of- HOW did I not catch that?

1 Like

Syntax can be a real devil

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms