THE WORST Arkanoid

Here is it: http://gamebucket.io/game/ac1cc9da-f71e-4107-a73c-cabec368990a

Notes:

• it has nothing
  • except for a tweak that forces collision happen in a way you never get into a boring loop (controls bouncing angles)
  • you can also control the ball bounce depending on how far from the center it hits your ship
  • has no gravity either
  • in 9th level there is a UFO enemy that fires guided missiles on your ship
  • its pretty fast paced and difficult since I didnā€™t add any extra balls or any other things

I wanted to but for now I feel like I want to proceed more deep into the course than upgrading this. Iā€™ve been following the arkanoid part of the course for ages so now all I want is something different. But its probable I will return back to this project in the future.

Iā€™d like to add:

• smarter level progression
  • different bonuses
  • game score
  • more lives
  • ball speeding up with time
  • animated backgrounds
  • more appealing blocks
  • different enemies
  • many many many more other levels
  • android build

C&C an R&R are most appreciated!!!

4 Likes

I like the clean look and the ball movement, just like i remember from the old arkanoid games!
can you please paste the code for this, i wondered about this myself, but still a rookie to all of this :smile:

Hey dude,
well its simple (because I was able to do it myself :smiley: )

There are 3 thingsā€¦

1. on ship I have collision detection (the same like you got on bricks etcā€¦ void oncollision something), inside it there is a script that reads x of the ball and x of the ship. Difference of these values (the greater the further from the ship ball hits) is then multiplied with x vector of the speed of the ball. (thuss the ball bounces more sideways if its far from the ship center).

2. i also detect y speed in this collision detection. if its to low it means the ball goes to horizontally - this is the cause of horizontal loops (vertical loops are already solved by point 1). There is written something that if the y speed of the ball is below 5.0f then i hard set it to 5.0f at least. (I got the same on bricks in -5 vertical speed and +5 - because the ball can bounce to horizontaly from bricks as well in both ways - slightly going up, slightly going down). then i also hard set the y speed on -5 or +5 respectively (or maybe 10, iā€™m not sure now).

3. finally i check absolute ball speed after the bounce. its absolute speed is Sqrt (XspeedXspeed + YspeedYspeed), I want the absolute speed of the ball be always a constant (10 works for me). I just adjust the X and Y speed of the ball by: ballabsolutespeed / 10 * (x and/or y speed).

the code is really a mess and iā€™m sure it can all be done much more effectively, butā€¦

THIS IS ON MY SHIP OBJECT:

void OnCollisionEnter2D(Collision2D collision)
{
//speedXY is bouncing speed in each axis - I just hard set both after the collision (maybe could use trigger instead)
speedX = 10 * (ball.transform.position.x - this.transform.position.x) + 0.5f * (Random.value - Random.value);
speedY = 8f - 7 * Mathf.Abs(ball.transform.position.x - this.transform.position.x) + 0.5f * (Random.value - Random.value);
// speedY is smaller if speedX is faster while speedX depends on x of ball - x of the ship

//Im sure random values are ********, but it was the first that worked for me before I got to know about random range, theyā€™re not even necessary as the variace of bounce is guaranteed by ball bouncin of ships more sideways if it hits off center)

// this sets higher y bounce if its to low - avoids horizontal loop
if (speedY < 5.0f)
{
speedY = 10.0f;
print(ā€œOPRAVA LODIā€);
}

// counting absolute speed of the ball
    speedAbs = Mathf.Sqrt(speedX * speedX + speedY * speedY);
    // recount so the absolute speed of the ball is always 10
    speedX = ballspeed / speedAbs * speedX;
    speedY = ballspeed / speedAbs * speedY;
    //ballspeed is a public int (currently set to 10);
    ball.GetComponent<Rigidbody2D>().velocity = new Vector2(speedX,speedY);

//final hard set of ball speed

} 

And similar its done on a brick (I think its stupid and should all be on ball, but i just didnā€™t know how to find out if there is a collision of the ball with ship or with side of the playspace or with a brick). But well who cares, it works for now and later if I get smarter during the course I can fix it :slight_smile:

Hope it helps!!!
Feel free to ask if it doesnā€™t work for u.

Hi, thanks!
I will finish the breakout chapter and will sure try to implement it!

Hello Obolus,

I finally got around to fixing the Ball Movement in my clone and used you code to do just that. Iā€™m not exactly sure what youā€™ve bone in regards to the Mathematics in this code but Iā€™ll just take it on faith because it works a treat :sunglasses:. If it were a bit cooler I mightā€™ve taken the code apart to see the values you were getting and what you have done but itā€™s well over 35C here and the computer operator is really feeling the heat about now - time to get out of the room :sweat:.

Thankyou for being so kind to make it available for those of us who wanted a little more control over the ball :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:.

Warmest Regards,
Vaughan.

Well done. I like the 0 gravity better than -1. It seems to move like the original Arkanoid a lot better this way.

1 Like

Heyyy, I really like this one. We have a greater control over where the ball goes. I really dig your avoidance of the horizontal loop too!

1 Like

ty :)))
(post has to has 10 characters lul)

Yeah. The way you coded it makes me feel like I won by skill and not semi-blind luck.

Hey Obolus,

I canā€™t seem to get the code to work just right. Can you post your full code? Hope its not too much to ask. Thanks!

hey sorry for late answer, was taking a break :slight_smile:

here u can download the whole project

1 Like

Privacy & Terms