The stem

My reference is a bit different from the course. Because I don’t know about rigging we’ll see if I will have to redo everything as I progress.

I do have one question though. What is the take on objects with meshes that isn’t attached. Is that something that should be avoided or is it just fine to do so?

It’s kinda hard to see in this pic but the black part (supposed to be plastic) there is a cylinder and a box, these two are attached but the stem there is part of that mesh to and that isn’t attached.

Another question, the reference is having a spring between the plastic part and the stem, how would one go about moddeling something like that?

2 Likes

Difficult to say. But keep it one mesh if you need ‘flowing’, ‘organic’ curves and lines.
But splitting them isn’t a problem either. You can always JOIN meshes. Or combining them using the boolean opperator. It all depends ob je specific model. How to choos, you will learn.

Mechanical things keep meshes apart “Hard surfacing”. Like a robot,
Organic things probably one mesh, because vertices have a relation (like a face).

It depend on what you will do with the object too. (animation, sculpting).

Springs and related armature are hard to do. But some people manage it to do so.
Goal of this Lamp challenge is to make a simple lamp, consisting of several mesh objects. Which are easy to animate. But hard enough for first timers.

Thank you for the explanations. I understand it’s a bit of a too broad question, but some pointers there at least. I have this urge anytime I add an object to my mesh that I need to attach it to my model. That is why I started wondering these things.

And for the second question about the springs. I didn’t think it would be easy to do, and I didn’t think I would do them ether just curious :slight_smile:

Thanks again for your answers.

Privacy & Terms